Oil gauge pegs at 20psi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1978 silver gauge, 301 engine. Only goes to 20psi no matter what. Sender or gauge? What is the procedure to test the sender? I have a multi-meter but I never used it to test an oil pressure sender. Mine is in such a bitchy spot want to test first.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Probably the sender. I had that issue, went through at least two senders on my 78 1/2 with factory gauges.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How do you test it?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If I'm remembering right
How do you test it?
Found this

How do you test an oil pressure sending unit with a multimeter?

In order to test the switch you can connect your multimeter between the pin and the senders body. You should find the switch is closed while the engine is at rest. When the engine is running, the switch should open. As you can see this switch has only one pin, so the switch works between ground and the pin.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That sounds like it is for an idiot light sender. Isn't a gauges sender a variable resistance?

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
AC Delco part number for a gauge sender? The ones I'm seeing have a screw fitting, I need the blade. Normally I would go with Standard, no longer. EDIT: Got it: D1829

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
SOLVED! Still don't know how to test the sendor but I tested the dash gauge. I removed the wire at the sendor and grounded it then turned the key on. It pegged at the high end of the gauge. It also bounced wildly so the dampening fluid is gone. I scrounged up a new sendor from my stash of parts. It is a KEM made in USA so it should be a good one. Started the engine and she's back to 60 psi. Done.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor