REGAL Oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
I replaced the valve cover gaskets, but still have a small leak. It looks like it is coming from this part. I need help identifying. 1985 Regal 3.8. This part is located on driver side lower front near top of oil pan.
12711254-47E9-4D50-B90B-6D0EF421644A.jpeg
top of oil pan.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
thats the fuel pump.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'd guess you can try replacing the gasket between the pump and block, it'd be less than $1 and a razorblade to find out.

FYI, to some degree these cars just plain like leaking oil though. The entire reason GM abandoned corporate blue for black paint was to cut down warranty claims for seeps weeps and leaks.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
I'd guess you can try replacing the gasket between the pump and block, it'd be less than $1 and a razorblade to find out.

FYI, to some degree these cars just plain like leaking oil though. The entire reason GM abandoned corporate blue for black paint was to cut down warranty claims for seeps weeps and leaks.

Thanks ck80. You are right, guess I am too anal about little leaks.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks ck80. You are right, guess I am too anal about little leaks.
Nothing wrong with it, to a degree. That's a relatively minor one. But we all (myself included) have our problems with project creep, you take one tiny thing apart, then see another you say oh it's not too bad lemme just do it quick...eventually the body is off the frame in the garage.

Probably about a 15 minute repair on the pump gasket, so long as a previous owner didn't make a mess of something like rounding off a bolt head or using permanent thread sealer in the block.

Looking at the grime buildup from the years on the underpinnings though I'd just watch it and see if it gets worse. The more you touch, the more might break, the more needs fixing, the more might break.... repeat and repeat.

Enjoy your time, and the car, and time in the car

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
if this setup is the same as the sbc, it will actually be two gaskets, one to hold on the cover over where the fuel pump rod goes into the block and the second one that holds the fuel pump to the block. Both gaskets are prone to leaking, I guess do to vibration. It is pointless to change one gasket without the other.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
if this setup is the same as the sbc, it will actually be two gaskets, one to hold on the cover over where the fuel pump rod goes into the block and the second one that holds the fuel pump to the block. Both gaskets are prone to leaking, I guess do to vibration. It is pointless to change one gasket without the other.
Different setup.

No fuel pump rod, the arm on the pump directly rides the eccentric inside. No second plate and no second gasket.

Score:

Buicks 1
Chevys 0

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Different setup.

No fuel pump rod, the arm on the pump directly rides the eccentric inside. No second plate and no second gasket.

Score:

Buicks 1
Chevys 0
Non adjustable valvetrain
Shaft rockers
Front mount dist that doesn't go through the intake
Front mount oil pump and filter
Spark plugs not hidden behind exhaust manifolds

Buick 6
Chevy 0

lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
Nothing wrong with it, to a degree. That's a relatively minor one. But we all (myself included) have our problems with project creep, you take one tiny thing apart, then see another you say oh it's not too bad lemme just do it quick...eventually the body is off the frame in the garage.

Probably about a 15 minute repair on the pump gasket, so long as a previous owner didn't make a mess of something like rounding off a bolt head or using permanent thread sealer in the block.

Looking at the grime buildup from the years on the underpinnings though I'd just watch it and see if it gets worse. The more you touch, the more might break, the more needs fixing, the more might break.... repeat and repeat.

Enjoy your time, and the car, and time in the car
Yeah, I will probably take your advice and not mess with the fuel pump gasket. My aunt bought this car new. When she passed away, my Mom got the car. She passed away four years ago, so I have it now. It only has 55,000 miles on it. I have done a few things to it, like replacing the bumper fillers, headliner, shocks.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get the grime buildup cleaned up? That way I could be sure if the fuel pump is where the leak is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor