Oil Pressure dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
So, my oil pressure drops to about 15-20 PSI after my engine is up to operating temperature, when it is at idle. It is up 45-50 PSI while driving, gets up to around 60 PSI at higher RPM's.
Would this just be an old worn out oil pump? or do I have a bad bearing?

Has it always been like that or is it something new? Its normal for oil pressure to drop after warm up. 40-55psi while driving is plenty. I was always told 10psi for every 1000rpm and everything will be fine.

Yeah it has been like that since I put the engine in the car. I have just never seen a SBC have oil pressure that low.

I put full synthetic oil in mine and the pressure drops 2 about 20 lbs at idle now...scared the crap out of me at first...i stopped 2 make sure the plug was still there LOL

I've seen engines idle with as little as 5psi. It's possible it's just a loose bearing clearance. 15-20psi is nothing to worry about. Unless you're running it past 5,000rpm, 50psi is more than ample.

IIRC that's what it's supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor