Oil pressure gauge pegged over 60 psi, where to begin to find problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
i Just redid my dash and all my gages now work. EXCEPT the oil pressure gage.

Before I go any firther I'd like to knwo some steps to find out if this is an electrical issue, or a sending unit issue
or a gauge iussue.

I seem to always choose the wrong plan of attack.

So can someone point me in the right way to diagnose where this problem lies.

I know the oil pressure sending unit is on the front of my Olds block which at least makes it handy to replace if need be.

So where do I begin?

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
When I bought my 79H/O my gauge read 60 psi. I would bet that the sending unit is shorted. Here are some repair instructions

1. turn key on do not start check gauge does it read 60 psi. If so sounds like sending unit.

2. Unplug sending unit turn key on gauge should read 0 psi. If so replace sending unit

Following this should repair your gauge

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
When I bought my 79H/O my gauge read 60 psi. I would bet that the sending unit is shorted. Here are some repair instructions

1. turn key on do not start check gauge does it read 60 psi. If so sounds like sending unit.

2. Unplug sending unit turn key on gauge should read 0 psi. If so replace sending unit

Following this should repair your gauge
Ahhhhhhhhhh, this makes sense, let's see what happens....

Last edited:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I unplugged the electrical connection to the oil pressure sending and turned the key on and it still read 60.

Where is the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge or is it IN the oil pressure sensor ITSELF?

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
You might have to ground the sending unit wire to make the gauge read 0.
If you ground it and it reads 60 then it is wiring or gauge

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
You might have to ground the sending unit wire to make the gauge read 0.
If you ground it and it reads 60 then it is wiring or gauge

Ill give it a shot tomorrow.............nothing to lose, thanks for your suggestions and directions...........every little bit helps.......(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor