Oil pressure sending unit buick 3.8 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

84Oldz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2019
I have a 1984 cutlass supreme with a buick 3.8 v6 in it. I want to add an oil pressure gauge but need help figuring out where the oil pressure sending unit are in these engines. Thanks in advance

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I added factory gauges and the oil pressure sender is where the gauge or dummy light gets its input from. It has a bunch of wires and is above the oil filter, not a real easy spot to get to so I left it as is for now, not sure what the best way is to add the gauge input without messing with more than I need to.

Reactions: 1 user

84Oldz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2019
Ok. I believe I see it. So that would be where I would connect the gauge's sending unit to.. Correct? Thanks for the reply btw

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
It was a PITA when I added the oil pressure gauge sender on mine. Unfortunately that is the only place to tap into. Not much room to work at all. Biggest challenge was getting the senders in the right location and not leaking. When done, I was kinda surprised at how much oil pressure the engine had.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
This is how I did it on my 350 Buick. 3.8 is a 350 Buick minus # 3 and 4 cylinders. Same setup.
tee3.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
It was a PITA when I added the oil pressure gauge sender on mine. Unfortunately that is the only place to tap into. Not much room to work at all. Biggest challenge was getting the senders in the right location and not leaking. When done, I was kinda surprised at how much oil pressure the engine had.

What did you end up doing to lower the pressure ?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What did you end up doing to lower the pressure ?
Probably nothing. Buick engines are notorious for having low oil pressure. Not really a bad thing, as long as it's at least 10psi per 1000 rpm and raises fairly quickly with RPM, it will be fine.

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
Probably nothing. Buick engines are notorious for having low oil pressure. Not really a bad thing, as long as it's at least 10psi per 1000 rpm and raises fairly quickly with RPM, it will be fine.

Asking because mines reads high, thought about swapping the sender to double check it’s working properly

84Oldz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2019
Thanks for all the info everyone. Since you say it's a PITA to do... Has anyone tried doing it with a sandwich plate on the oil filter? I wonder if it's possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor