Oil pressure sending unit placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was wondering what you guys use, or suggest using as far as a suitable oil pressure sending unit for OE electric gauge. I managed to pick up an oil pressure sender and water temp sending unit today to work with my factory gauges.
I've already replaced the water temp sender, that was easy. Just had to add an oversize adapter. The oil pressure sender is another issue entirely. I removed my mechanical gauge with capillary tube. I had it installed at the back of the engine next to the distributor with a 1/8" nipple and a T-fitting and oil light sending unit.
Well, the new sending unit doesn't quite fit in that area. The plug above the oil filter had never been tapped...so it looks like it would have to be installed at the back of the engine like it was.
So I'm in a bit of a quandary here.
I recall on my old Porsche 914, I added a VDO double pole sender. It wouldn't fit in the same area as the old sender, so I purchased and installed a VDO adapter hose to sort of remotely situate the sending unit.

I'm wondering if I'll have to resort to something of that nature. BTW, I looked up the sending unit for an '81 El Camino with V-8 and factory gauges.

Sorry about the long winded explanation. I'd like to know what you guys recommend. Is there another type sender that fits better in that tight area?
I just changed out my dash for a GP unit using OE gauges and tach. So I'm in the middle of getting it operational.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Jack, i used the copper capillary tube to remote mount my electric sending unit over in the corner of the firewall out of the way. Just used a 1/8 male pipe to 1/8 compression adapter in the block and an 1/8 female pipe to 1/8 compression on the sending unit.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks James,
It seems to work okay? Did you use copper tubing? That's a thought I haven't considered...hmmmm!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, I've never seen a sender unit that wasn't that big canister one. If there is a smaller one I've never seen it. Remote mounting it sounds like a great idea, but I would make sure the copper tubing had no chance to flex so that would mean the adapter and sender would need to be engine mounted. While copper is soft and bendable, eventually it will work harden and break.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
It's a good size sending unit. Even if i took the distributor out, I don't know if it would even fit in between.
while we were talking about using copper tubing, or something in that order, I was thinking maybe if I can have a piece of braided hose made to a certain length with the proper fittings. I don't think I'd be able to fit it on the firewall, but I can probably mount it on the intake with a bracket hold down.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey Jack, isn't that oil gallery hole next to the distributor hole 1/8" pipe thread? I'm pretty sure you could plumb a line out and away from the distributor with 1/8" pipe. It would be strong and unobtrusive and the sender would screw right in via unions. You could even go behind the motor and mount the sender behind a head or something.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Ya Jack, I used the copper tubing. Engine movement isn't a big issue because the copper is so malleable and the movement is minor. Plus with the length I used(the sending unit is tucked in the corner where the inner fender meets the firewall) the tubing doesn't bend with any engine movement. Can't tell ya for sure how many years it's been this way for sure, at least 5. You could also do like Mark said and just use a 90* or 45* elbow. I had it that way before, until the pipe broke flush with the block...

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
jrm81bu- see those transmission mount bolts in the back of the engine? That's where I would mount it with a big clamp. Close, solid, yet out of sight.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jrm81bu said:
Ya Jack, I used the copper tubing. Engine movement isn't a big issue because the copper is so malleable and the movement is minor. Plus with the length I used(the sending unit is tucked in the corner where the inner fender meets the firewall) the tubing doesn't bend with any engine movement. Can't tell ya for sure how many years it's been this way for sure, at least 5. You could also do like Mark said and just use a 90* or 45* elbow. I had it that way before, until the pipe broke flush with the block...

I used a short brass tube in that location and connected a 45º elbow to it to install the sender so it didn't interfere with the distributor. The tube did break eventually off but it being brass it was quick work to remove it with an easy out

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for your input Guys.
I was fiddling around this AM with a few brass fittings using the 2" brass nipple. I think what I'll end up doing is using the 2" nipple and like Steve mentioned using a 45 degree fitting.
I played with a combination of fittings that I had laying around. including a T-fitting and a 90 deg male/female elbow. It looks like it will work that way, and the 45 degree should probably give me the clearance I need without making look too much like a Rube Goldberg setup. It will fit between the distributor and the kick down cable and bracket.
I'll let you all know how it turns out. I do like the idea of using the hose, or tubing.

Getting the brass pipe nipple off was a bit of a chore. Hopefully once it's back in place, I won't have to screw with anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor