oil pressure switch wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
have a couple cut wires under the hood. trying to hook up the factory oil pressure switch, my aftermarket mechanical pressure gauge is giving problems can t seem to stop the oil leak where it attach to the back of the gauge . theirs a green ,tan and gray wire that was cut. looking for some opinion on where they go. I'm assuming the tan wire goes to the oil pressure switch, is their anyway to test the tan wire to see if its goes to the oil pressure . not sure where the other two wires go
any opinion would be appreciated

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Tan is the color of the wire for the gauge lead in our cars. The dark green will be for the choke light, that gray might be a faded light blue & would be for the electric choke. I'm guessing your car has factory gauges.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
To add to the above.

Tan = Oil pressure

Lt green = Idle solenoid
Dk Green = Temp sending unit

The only gray is in the wiper washer circuit.

Lt blue = choke heater
White = Tach

Reactions: 1 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Tan is the color of the wire for the gauge lead in our cars. The dark green will be for the choke light, that gray might be a faded light blue & would be for the electric choke. I'm guessing your car has factory gauges.
yes it is a dark green wire. the car can with factory dash warning lights. and also to add to the comment about wiper wire I do have a problem also with wiper wiring I installed a donor wiper motor out of a 87 monte Carlo in the car and it didn't work I tested the wires with a test light. it has two separate connector. one has two wires one yellow and purple. the other has red, green, gray and yellow wires it showed i was getting power to all the wires except to the red one. is that that hot wire for the motor. for got to mention my car is 87 olds cutlass

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Wiper wires. On the later cars the switch uses 12V switching. Early cars use ground switching, completely backwards.

WPR fuse 25 amp goes from fuse box as Yellow, 12V in to the switch and logic board on the motor. This should always have 12V when the key is on. Diagram does not have 2 yellow wires, likely the same power feed.

Purple should be 12V only on high setting.
Grey should be 12V on mist, low and high settings and less than 12V on delay settings (5 resistors from 400K to 39K ohm.).
Dark green should be less than 12V (34K ohm resistor) on all settings except washer where it should be 12V

Red is the washer pump, should only have 12V when washer is activated. Dark green will be 12V also when washer is on.

Black ground.

Attachments

• 87G_wiper.jpg
    87G_wiper.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 105

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Wiper wires. On the later cars the switch uses 12V switching. Early cars use ground switching, completely backwards.

WPR fuse 25 amp goes from fuse box as Yellow, 12V in to the switch and logic board on the motor. This should always have 12V when the key is on. Diagram does not have 2 yellow wires, likely the same power feed.

Purple should be 12V only on high setting.
Grey should be 12V on mist, low and high settings and less than 12V on delay settings (5 resistors from 400K to 39K ohm.).
Dark green should be less than 12V (34K ohm resistor) on all settings except washer where it should be 12V

Red is the washer pump, should only have 12V when washer is activated. Dark green will be 12V also when washer is on.

Black ground.
thanks for the feedback. I didn't mount the wiper I just attach the plug connector to the wiper motor while it rest on the inner fender. Does the motor need to be mounted for it to be properly grounded and work. and does mounting it serve as the ground or is there a separate ground strap

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The ground is in the mounting hardware.

Attachments

• 87 G Wiper Ground.jpg
    87 G Wiper Ground.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
The ground is in the mounting hardware.
your right. I installed the wiper motor today and it worked. the problem it wasn't properly grounded. didn't notice the tap you mentioned on one of the gourmets, that was the ticket works perfect.

thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor