Oil pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Ive finally started ordering stuff to get my 6.0 in the malibu. i plan to just run my tired old 350 for the summer since it runs. Anyhow next thing I need to figure out is the oil pump. I here melling is the way to go. Last time I glanced at oil pumps Melling had multiple options, Im not sure which one I should go with? What are you guys running and or recommend?
Btw is a LY6, 6.0 ltr
Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I run a BB melling in my SBC, it;s not a high volume pump but it does give a 15% more flow. It fits the same as a SB melling with the exception you need an extension on the shaft

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/22090/10002/-1

710-22090.jpg

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Oh sorry pontiacgp, I meant for the 6.0. See I got the 6.0 ly6 from a ups truck. It was pulled because there was a recall on those engines for the oil pumps. For ups they just replaced the engines whether they failed or not. This one didnt fail but I want to throw in a new oil pump now while the motor is out and Im going it do a cam anyway. That way I dont have to worry about ever again. I looked on summit for Melling oil pumps but found they have more than one. So im just curious if there is a better one or if it makes a difference at all before I buy anything.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought you were talking about the oil pump in the 350, I'm confused easily so please disregard my post.....:D

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't have a ton of feedback on this. My 5.3 LMG in my Sierra has the stock pump with 143k miles on it. It had 82 on it when I did the cam swap and I put it right back in there. My brother's L96 has the stock 20k mile pump. Is there an improved design pump available from GM?

Just found the chart below. Looks like the L96, LY6 and LMG all took the same pump. Melling M295 is the stock replacement. I would go with that or a new OE pump (presumably improved design). If you are running stock internals and clearances I don't see a need for a high volume or high pressure pump.
GM LS Melling ID Chart.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I bought a melling m295 pump for my 5.3 last month. I've yet to install it, but all the research i did led me to that one. It supposedly flows more than the GM pump, but is not high volume which I've been told can starve the bottom end and ruin bearings!!!

When looking, the same pump part # is used across the gen3/4 motors. Bonus, it was only like $65ish shipped.
LS GOODIES.jpg

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
M295 it is. I dont think I need anything special. The motor is mostly stock minus the cam Im going to put in it and it wont see any competition.
Thanks guys

Montague

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
Factory ls6 pump works just fine, or texas speed has a ported one you could use also.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Melling High Volume, all day. The LS Engines LOVE oil and they flow alot of it...I don't run anything but the high volume pumps in what I build. I port & polish them also.

In my stock cam only LQ4 6.0l is a Melling HV that I P&P...fwiw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor