Oil Separator/ Catch Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Hey guys, I’m wondering what most of you are using for an oil separator/catch can. I added a breather to my pass side oil fill hole, and a one way valve on the hose coming off the top of the manifold to the drivers side valve cover. Now I’m getting oil coming out of the breather dripping onto my exhaust manifold. I’d like to add a catch can, but not sure exactly the proper hoses to run thru it and if there’s one that’s dependable and user friendly? Thanks for any info.
5.3 truck engine, drive by wire, truck manifold, 78mm turbo.

Attachments

• 4CDEE2E5-69B8-43C7-8421-B3EEB2E333F2.jpeg
    4CDEE2E5-69B8-43C7-8421-B3EEB2E333F2.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 349
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Either factory valve cover breather into the catch can, then back into the 3/8" manifold port works.

If I recall correctly, from the bottom of the catch can then back through the top to the manifold. Should be some info online for it.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So in my studies of designing the catch can for my car there are two main ways to do it

1. Vented surge tank
Basically just vent the valve covers to a tank and the tank has some type of a filter on the top to atmosphere , some have vacuum source to manifold and some don't

2. In line oil separator
Essentially a copy of a factory PCV system but with a tank in the middle to separate the oil mist from the air.

1 isn't wrong but I MUCH prefer 2. There is improved ring sealing from a slight vac on the crank case and you are actively removing water vapor and blowby from the crankcase. #1 is essentially just putting a second, filtered air bleed to manifold and any blowby ends up in the tank passively not actively.

Mine is set up with the stock valvecover barb going to a tank that is filled with steel wool and has a copper tube on the inlet going to the bottom and it has a few holes drilled down the side on the bottom half. The outlet going to manifold vac then has a PCV valve in line before it connects to intake vacuum. If you can tell in the photo below the black tank is mounted right infront of the passenger head.

Since you are turbo look at how a turbo buick is set up. You should tee off the post air filter, pre turbo side of the inlet pipe to provide a little vacuum under boost and possibly put some check valves in and send the other side of the vac supply side of the can to the intake manifold post TB.

1598893159274.png

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
So in my studies of designing the catch can for my car there are two main ways to do it

1. Vented surge tank
Basically just vent the valve covers to a tank and the tank has some type of a filter on the top to atmosphere , some have vacuum source to manifold and some don't

2. In line oil separator
Essentially a copy of a factory PCV system but with a tank in the middle to separate the oil mist from the air.

1 isn't wrong but I MUCH prefer 2. There is improved ring sealing from a slight vac on the crank case and you are actively removing water vapor and blowby from the crankcase. #1 is essentially just putting a second, filtered air bleed to manifold and any blowby ends up in the tank passively not actively.

Mine is set up with the stock valvecover barb going to a tank that is filled with steel wool and has a copper tube on the inlet going to the bottom and it has a few holes drilled down the side on the bottom half. The outlet going to manifold vac then has a PCV valve in line before it connects to intake vacuum. If you can tell in the photo below the black tank is mounted right infront of the passenger head.

Since you are turbo look at how a turbo buick is set up. You should tee off the post air filter, pre turbo side of the inlet pipe to provide a little vacuum under boost and possibly put some check valves in and send the other side of the vac supply side of the can to the intake manifold post TB.

View attachment 155915
Great information, thank you. Do you happen to remember who’s separator tank you have?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Great information, thank you. Do you happen to remember who’s separator tank you have?

Cheap one off ebay or amazon. It was like $15-$25 and another $20 in material from the hardware store. I did a quick look and didn't see anything identical listed anymore. As long as you find one in the color you want that has 2 ports in the top and no filter you should be fine.

The hose and most of the accessories it came with was trash so essentially I just bought an aluminum tube with a tap and some ports drilled in the top. It was definitely chinesesium but it wasn't a big deal to me.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Anyone ever read that the feed going into the can from pcv should be routed so the oil can flow back into the valve cover? Makes sense but it seems sometimes it's difficult to mount can above the engine high enough

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Anyone ever read that the feed going into the can from pcv should be routed so the oil can flow back into the valve cover? Makes sense but it seems sometimes it's difficult to mount can above the engine high enough

No I never heard that before.
Why would you want the oil to go back to the valve covers ??
The idea of a catch can is to catch the oil,then you drain it out of the catch can if it gets too full.
Guy

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
I definitely get the idea of getting the oil back into the engine, makes perfect sense. It’s good oil and it’s coming out so you’d have to add it back anyway, but logistics of getting it back in there would be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor