Ok I give, what's the trick to getting the shifter cable installed and then to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I just received the Pioneer. CA-1150 for my Hurst Olds 1979. I hooked the two eyelets up, one to the trans lever, and one to the shifter lever and
thought peas of cake.

Well, the shifter will not go past neutral. I wont force it. When I'm down at the transmission lever, the transmission lever
runs through all gears but the cable does not give enough travel at that end to allow it to go through all the gears.

Go up and try the shifter, stops at neautral. What the.....................

No adjusting nuts so nothing to adjust. What's the deal................?????????????????? I am beaten........:notworthy: My confidence in figuring things out
on my own is beginning to grow very thin..........:unsure:

Last edited:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I can't seem to get enough cable to travel, when you lock the ends in, the cable only travels a short distance. From Park to Neutral.

Even unhooked from the transmission lever.....the cable only gives that much travel to go from Park to Neutral. I cannot hand pull
the cable to get anymore travel out of it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, that sucks to hear.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to creep back under the car for this check I'm going to recommend. If you had a helper it would obviously make it a whole lot easier. But did you match up the old cable to the 1150 before putting it in? Did it seem like the right cable in all respects?

If you disconnect the shifter end (where the shifter end of the cable will not be blocked from moving), and get under the car and try to manually select the gear by moving the lever end, will it go through all the gears, or get stuck again?

If it passes that test, disconnect the lever end while you're under the car, crawl back out (I know, it's a PITA for you but this next part is easier in the car than from underneath) and get back in the car push/pull the freed up cable back and forth (not hooked up at either end) by hand to see if you can FEEL any hanging up or anything. If that passes, then just hook up the shifter end of the cable and see if you can move the cable from park through low with the shifter while it's disconnected from the transmission end.

Obviously you can rearrange the order of the checks or whatever to make it work best for your health concerns, but in doing these checks it may shed some light on what's going on.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
This is ALL the travel I can get from the cable.........the shift lever is in neutral. and will go no further
hurstshifter 1.jpg

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
This is how much cable I need............I could NOT match the old shifter to the new since the cable broke inside the casing...
hurstshifter2.jpg

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Well, that sucks to hear.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to creep back under the car for this check I'm going to recommend. If you had a helper it would obviously make it a whole lot easier. But did you match up the old cable to the 1150 before putting it in? Did it seem like the right cable in all respects?

If you disconnect the shifter end (where the shifter end of the cable will not be blocked from moving), and get under the car and try to manually select the gear by moving the lever end, will it go through all the gears, or get stuck again?

If it passes that test, disconnect the lever end while you're under the car, crawl back out (I know, it's a PITA for you but this next part is easier in the car than from underneath) and get back in the car push/pull the freed up cable back and forth (not hooked up at either end) by hand to see if you can FEEL any hanging up or anything. If that passes, then just hook up the shifter end of the cable and see if you can move the cable from park through low with the shifter while it's disconnected from the transmission end.

Obviously you can rearrange the order of the checks or whatever to make it work best for your health concerns, but in doing these checks it may shed some light on what's going on.

No helper.............I live alone............even my dog left me.........

I have detached BOTH ends and try to get enough back and forth movement pulling on the cable it is just not there....
I'm missing something except the pain my shingles is giving me which is NOT helping this at all....................

I checked the part number on the box...CA-1150. The cable seems to have no identification on it..........

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is the exact reason I always try to go with GM parts when it comes to cables. You never know what you're going to get.

Very odd. How did it fare comparing to your original cable?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Assuming that you still have the back drive linkage hooked up, undo the adjustment bolt on the lower end of the rod, then see if you can get the shifter moving properly. Alternatively, are you turning the key on/forward when trying to move the shifter?

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
This is the exact reason I always try to go with GM parts when it comes to cables. You never know what you're going to get.

Very odd. How did it fare comparing to your original cable?

The original cable was seized and broke when I tried to shift it..........thus the replacement issue. I never had a chance t drive the
car so to speak with the shifter working properly

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Assuming that you still have the back drive linkage hooked up, undo the adjustment bolt on the lower end of the rod, then see if you can get the shifter moving properly. Alternatively, are you turning the key on/forward when trying to move the shifter?

WHAT adjustment bolt? On the cable or the rod that goes to the column lock mechanism??????
Yes I have the key in the on position when trying all these ideas..........

I cannot see where the column lock mechanism has anythign to do with this issue...........the shifter lever on the transmission
travels all through the gears.............
The cable cannot match the travel so where is this adjustment bolt????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor