Not open for further replies.

Severe-1

n00b
Jun 23, 2018
Palm City,Fl
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Back in the 90's I had three g-body's. 79 El Camino (driver), 84 SS El Camino and a 79 Malibu. Back then the Internet was fairly new and most education came from Frieberger and Car Craft magazine.
I dropped the Malibu off for paint in 2001 and the body shop tore it down and then the guy who took it apart quit. It needed a passenger door and the valance between the rear window and the trunk. Somehow a couple years went by (I had growing kids and a busy business to deal with). The body shop went out of business and the bu went into Moms detached garage. The 84 SS got killed in the huricane Frances and Gene. The roof of the building it was in fell on it and it had tons of wrinkles on every inch of it. The huricane was full of salt water and the car rusted terribly by the next time I saw it. No insurance at the time. I sold it as a roller and kept the interior and 350 small block.
Well, over Christmas Mom sold her house and 30 years of my stuff needed a new home. My wife and kids have filled my current house to the point that not even the Vette fits in the garage anymore. The 79 el cabong went to the junkyard. I bought a 20 foot enclosed trailer and loaded it with all kinds of (mostly junk) from RC cars, dirtbike parts and bikes, Harley stuff, big block and small block, chain saws,etc. trophies and tools.
I set aside all parts I thought went to the bu, sold el Camino parts and lots of Harley parts. Gave away a bunch of stuff too that there was just no room for.
Once again I dropped the bu off for paint partly because I had no place to put it. I told the owner it was a barn find, but it was my barn...
Well it's back! I'm in my 20's again! The Bu was originally from Pennsylvania and was custom ordered by a cop who was familiar with his Chevy cop car. Power windows, power sliding roof, power locks, rear defrost, 4 speed Muncie, 4 barrel 305 with posi rear and heavy duty cop suspension black interior, bucket seats and center console. And premium ac delco am/fm cassette.
I am the 3rd owner and bought it off my brothers good friend. It now has a 400 small block with Dart heads, performer RPM manifold, Holley 750 double pumper, Doug Thorley Tri-y headers through Flowmasters. A very worked 200-4R transmission with 373 gears and strange axles. In the 90's I would drive it to Moroso, swap to slicks, run some high elevens and drive home.
After a thorough tune up and carb rebuild it runs awesome again. I've driven it to work every day for the last two weeks. Even with no a/c in the summer in Florida, I'm loving it. I have a (mostly)complete A/C set up from the 84 SS which I would (kinda) like to put in.
Also dreaming of LS1 twin turbo....
If it wasn't for the wife....

Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
Thank you for sharing your story with us and posting pics of your cool ride.
It sounds like you're making up for lost time driving and enjoying it on a daily basis.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's going to look cool with the narrowed and tucked in bumpers. You are doing the rear as well, aren't you?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Welcome from Iowa. Thank you for the proper introduction. You have a neat project there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor