Old school fix for loose main and rod bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2014
Roanoke ,VA.
Oil pressure in my Camino with 350 dropped to 0 at idle and will only rise to 20 when revved. No knocks and normal compression, and has good pressure upon start up, but rapidly falls on warm up. This indicates to me the mains have too much clearance, and probably had, for whatever reason, a little too much clearance before the pressure dropped from further wear. I will not run it again until I pull the pan and check the mains. The pump is O.K. , I'm thinking ,or the pressure would be low on cold start up as well. I will plastigage the mains, and use .001 or .002 oversize, (called undersize) new bearings to take up the slack. I will also check the rods, of course, and do the same with them. What's interesting is I found a box of special bearing shims I had, and the company that makes them is still in business, it's interesting to note. If I needed/wanted to I could use them behind either the main or rod bearings on my 350. Well made and designed, they are copper alloy ,and tapered for a proper fit . My box of shims have all thicknesses you might need for perfect selective fitting. They are all 6'' x 5 1/4 '', universal in application, and you cut them with shears to fit your engine. The shims, in my box, are multiple sheets of. 001, .002, .003., .004. .005. Deckwar Tapered Shims, Ojai , Ca. Their shims are called Paramount Tapered Shims, and I found they are now on the web.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
personally I would be using new bearings and if the clearance was no good then I'd be yanking the engine to do a proper rebuild....and what about the cam bearings?..:popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Neill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2014
Roanoke ,VA.
personally I would be using new bearings and if the clearance was no good then I'd be yanking the engine to do a proper rebuild....and what about the cam bearings?..:popcorn:
New inserts should always be used , with or without the shims, i.m.o. I just do not think 'my 'cam bearings are that worn. It is a factory engine that was never worked on internally, and never run without oil. I don't feel like yanking the engine. Some of us kind of like taking a slower pace on these things, regardless of the ultimate outcome...lol

Last edited:

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
71jt-blbqTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Stops smoke
  • Reduces oil burning
  • Viscosity improver
  • Coats engine parts
  • Quiets noisy engines

Old School, no filing required:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor