Old School Meets New - Supercharged LSA into Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
Hi All,

My newest project is a 1987 Buick Grand National with an CA emissions-legal GMPP Connect & Cruise E-Rod LSA kit stuffed into it:

2013-chevrolet-performance-connect-and-cruise-ct-well-2-980x467-lsa.jpg

I bought the car in July for the straight body & frame and it suffered a transmission blowout on the drive home (after a 1 hour test drive and 2 hours on the highway - I really don't think this guy had any idea it was going to blow).

Once I started looking at the ridiculous prices for the original, reasonably low-tech Buick transmission and motor parts, I started checking out alternatives.

I was going to stuff an LS3 in there then put a turbo on to keep the original theme going, but they're cracking down on the smog testing pretty hard and I really wanted the beefier 4L85E transmission to handle the power once I started to mod, so I decided to spring for the LSA.

I found Gandrud Chevrolet in WI and they are running a special through the end of the year - double the GM rebate of $750 back, and Pete threw in free shipping to my door. Total for the engine and transmission and all electronics/cats/pump/emissions stuff with the rebates was $16,300. Like $3300 better than I could do in CA.

So I just ordered all the drive accessories to place the PS and alternator up higher on the driver's side to clear my steering box, and the ZL1 lid as the plumbing will be cleaner for my application. I'm using the Hooker LS swap cast iron headers to start as I can carefully grind off the Hooker logo then blast them with steel shot, ceramic coat them and they will look factory, plus the angle of the exhaust clears the G-Body front suspension pickup points perfectly.

Lots of work ahead but it should be a cool project and once I start putting on some of the greats mods you guys are doing it should be a solid performer in a classic shell.

Big Delivery Yesterday!

The big crate on a pallet was a b*tch to get off the truck, down the COBBLESTONE driveway (stuff doesn't like to roll on it :() and next to the garage. Here's its future home, the transmission in the black tub and all the motor bits in the monster crate:

buick_lsa_install_106_mini_newdelivery121813.jpg

After a lot of prybar action:

buick_lsa_install_113_mini_newdelivery121813.jpg

Details start to emerge:

buick_lsa_unpacked_mini_121813.jpg

Here's the real surprise - the GM Parts Manager swore that this would come with a flexplate and that they had stopped shipping with a flywheel/clutch combo:

buick_lsa_rear_mini_121813.jpg

I'll probably sell the clutch and flywheel as I could use the money for other bits.

I ran out of time to get it up on the engine stand because I need to make sure I remove the clutch & flywheel correctly, so it's just hanging by one side until tomorrow:

buick_lsa_onhoist_mini_121813.jpg

I will start a build thread in Other Vehicles tomorrow.

Still waiting on all the front GM Accsy Drive stuff, the Mast oilpan, assorted other bits.

Here's the 14", six-piston front (on the right) and rear brakes that will eventually go on the car, after I decide on and order my 18" wheels:

421_new_wilwoods_mini.jpg

First order of business - take off the heads and get them CNC-ported while the motor is out of the car. WCCH is going to breathe on these and install a Brian Tooley dual spring kit at the same time.

Second - get it in and get it smogged, to get the state off my back. Then the mods can continue.

Fun times ahead.

Got Shoehorn?

Jim

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Re: Old School Meets New - Supercharged LSA into Grand Natio

HOLY sh*t. That's amazing. I'll be following this one closely

ric85442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2013

More :popcorn: more :popcorn: more :popcorn:

KINGCUTTY_SALON86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013

this is going to be a awesome build ive always wondered what it would look like in a gbody. Im inspired now and will be following this until the very end .

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009

Part of me hates the idea of replacing the turbo 6 and part of me cant wait to see how this will turn out. You are going to have one badass car when it is done.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

85Supreme said:
Part of me hates the idea of replacing the turbo 6 and part of me cant wait to see how this will turn out.

I understand, and the intent is to not destroy the car or make it so it can't be put nearly back to stock - I'll probably keep all the GN parts, or at least the motor and all supporting bits.

But I suspect I will never put the old motor back in - maybe into something else?

Jim

1980Bu2Dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2013

This is gonna be a cool build.....can't wait to see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor