Old school wheel alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes sir.... My CC Squarebody dually has -.5 Camber & 6.9/7.4 Caster. It doesn't drive like a dually.

I ask my guy to target the -.5 Camber minimum w/as much Caster as that Camber target allows on every vehicle. The only one that wouldn't cooperate was the latest '99 OBS CC 3/4 ton. Caster topped out in the 3's. The eccentrics just don't offer enough movement even w/the knock-out gone. Aftermarket adjustable arms are available now but they utilize the smaller BJ footprint (Lt Duty 3/4 ton & heavy 1/2 ton). I'm trying to work around that now as well.

You can get offset upper control arm bushings for those but you can't stack them to gain caster. Since you typically have to rob Peter to pay Paul, I bet you could still come out ahead in that scenario.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
G bodies are old enough that they aren't in the computers. They can use 01 2wd s10 specs and modify if they are smart, but many alignment/tire shops don't have the will to think outside of the computer. Plus, they are shim alignment and they either don't stock shims or have the skills to do it.

My moderate experience with alignment ships is that they 'toe and go' meaning they don't care about caster or camber and if the toe is out of spec they turn the tie rods a turn or two so it is in spec and take their $90. I rebuilt the entire front suspension on my daily beater Rainier last summer and took it to a chain store down the road for an alignment. It was SO bad when I first put it together that I gave it a quick tape measure alignment so it would make the drive there. They didn't even touch the caster or camber, they just got the toe vaguely in spec and sent it out the door.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
G bodies are old enough that they aren't in the computers. They can use 01 2wd s10 specs and modify if they are smart, but many alignment/tire shops don't have the will to think outside of the computer. Plus, they are shim alignment and they either don't stock shims or have the skills to do it.

My moderate experience with alignment ships is that they 'toe and go' meaning they don't care about caster or camber and if the toe is out of spec they turn the tie rods a turn or two so it is in spec and take their $90. I rebuilt the entire front suspension on my daily beater Rainier last summer and took it to a chain store down the road for an alignment. It was SO bad when I first put it together that I gave it a quick tape measure alignment so it would make the drive there. They didn't even touch the caster or camber, they just got the toe vaguely in spec and sent it out the door.
That is sad.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor