Old style power lock relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I have an 83 cutlass with the old style power lock relay I’ve attempted to reground with no success unlock works from both switches but lock does not I obviously would rather not pay a fortune for a replacement and at least around me GBodies in the scrap yard are beyond rare and usually fully stripped so does anyone have the electrical knowledge I lack to give me an idea of how to repair my relay or build a new one with modern relays?

Thanks for the help y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can remove the casing to clean the contact points but I would test the system to isolate the problem. If you want to wire in another style of relay make sure it can handle the current and to figure out how to wire them up you need to test each wire to see where it would attach on a relay. I would use a 5 pin for up and another 5 pin for down, 30 is power, 85 ground, 86 & 87 targets, 86 is the trigger..

Personally if my relay went bad I would buy a new one, they last 30 years + so per use it's only a matter of part of a penny and there is virtually no work involved to install it

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Yea I know it’s easy to install and I have essentially isolated it to the relay both switches work correctly both actuators are new and everything works for unlock but no lock capability the relay doesn’t even click.

Thanks for the suggestions about wiring my own relay I was hoping to get lucky and be spoon fed a little more from wiring geniuses but I can probably drag myself through but I’ll first try to pull it apart

I can barely find a replacement anywhere and they seem to be ridiculously expensive comparatively and I am kinda poor and frugal

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Trying to figure out what you mean by "old style" relay....

All the A/G-bodies from 81-88 use the same one. 20306055 Discontinued in U.S. since 2012. But they were around 30 bucks back in 1987, so it's not a huge shock in 30 years they'd be up there in price due to supply/demand.

Hard as hell to find. So when you do find them, you have to pay some bucks for them. Unfortunately this is some of the drawbacks of G-body ownership.

Maybe this diagram can help you with what relays you want to use....

85 G47 power door lock circuit.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
using a test light you can find the trigger wire on the current rtelay by hitting the lock and unlock and the
Yea I know it’s easy to install and I have essentially isolated it to the relay both switches work correctly both actuators are new and everything works for unlock but no lock capability the relay doesn’t even click.

Thanks for the suggestions about wiring my own relay I was hoping to get lucky and be spoon fed a little more from wiring geniuses but I can probably drag myself through but I’ll first try to pull it apart

I can barely find a replacement anywhere and they seem to be ridiculously expensive comparatively and I am kinda poor and frugal

have you tried giving the relay power from another source for the unlock

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I used typical bosch relays to do my power locks. However; I had to run power through them backwards in order for it to lock and unlock, otherwise it locked both ways or unlocked both ways. If you pick up 2 relays, pay no attention to how they are typically pinned out. Simply match the diagram on the relay to the diagram 69hurstolds posted. You will find that instead of using '30' for power in, you actually use it as power out to the actuator.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you ENSURE you're getting power to the relay blue wire in??? In other words, do you have continuity in the lock circuit? Just throwing spaghetti. Not saying the lock side of the relay isn't toast, but if that wire is fubar, you'll never get that lock solenoid to go.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor