Olds 307 SMOG removal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
Ok, I have an 1987 442, slowly messing with the car, After I purchased I noticed Smog pump was MIA but the rest of the equipment was still present. Assuming at this point I might as well remove the rest of the system since I have exhaust blowing into the engine bay. In Maine its suppose to be present if equipped but if registered as an Antique auto there is no required state inspection so as long as Im not being stupid when driving no one will look under the hood.

ANYWAYS.. not looking for a debate about to or not to remove the system, just simple clarification... Does or does not the car look at the presence of the emission system??? ie O2 sensor ect. Ive read lots and lots of debate over this.... Im not planning on touching the EGR, charcoal canister, Id rather not cut up the existing A.I.R. pipes to create plugs so if anyone can tell me what thread they are it will be helpful. Ive seen anything posted from 1/4inch NPT, 5/16 tapered thread, or 1/2" 20 thread bolts
Thanks

Last edited:

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Not sure about there being debates about it but if there are they're with people who are uneducated about the CCC system and feel they need to remove it, mess with it or think that it hampers performance because they have no clue on how to properly maintain the vehicle and such...
O2 sensor is critical to the operation of the fuel mixture solenoid and whether your car runs like *ss or not... and the CCC system looks for it.
Removing the AIR system (smog pump and diverter valves) on the other hand will not throw codes except during startup under rich conditions when fresh air is pumped into the exhaust ports to make sure the O2 sensor doesn't get a rich reading.
The smog pump and tubes can all be plugged up but I wouldn't recommend removing anything else beyond that otherwise the 307 will suffer since it's designed to be ran with EGR, proper A/F mixture and timing the CCC system provides.
If you start to remove one of these the system breaks down and you might as well just put in a 403/455 at that point...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd just source a new air pump and button all that stuff back up if it all still works. then build a 403/455 to put in its place. :D

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
The 307 is what it is... I'm not looking for more HP from removing the smog stuff, just figuring out what someone else started... if I put a pump back on it I need brackets those are missing too. I've looked a little at the pick and pull salvage yards but a lot of these have been crushed already.

My thought was to take it off toss it on a shelf in the barn until I sell the car or build a 403 for it. Being a matching numbers 442 nothing is getting thrown away, I have no issues with the ccc system no plan to remove that I just was a bit uncertain on if the ccc would react to the smog stuff being missing even though the pump is already MIA...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor