olds 307 to 350 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfetch27

n00b
Jan 7, 2017
Hey I'm new here and thought why not try this.

Here's a little background information
1985 cutlass 442 my grandfather purchased for my father about 10 years ago. My dad junked the 307 and bought a 350 for it. Problem is idk where he put the emission pumps or brackets for anything and i dont know where anything goes. My father recently passed away and i would like to finish the car for him. If anyone has any info pics, diagrams, anything would be helpful.

jfetch27

n00b
Jan 7, 2017
I understand that I mean for wiring harnesses switch locations emissions related components etc

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
All in the same exact place the stuff for the 307 was. Does your area do emissions testing? if not, screw all that stuff. If they do, they still make all those old emissions parts like the EGR valve and air pump.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
All in the same exact place the stuff for the 307 was. Does your area do emissions testing? if not, screw all that stuff. If they do, they still make all those old emissions parts like the EGR valve and air pump.
Every connector on the harness should be self explanatory. It will only plug into its match. If your going with a older 350 you can eliminate the ecm harness . it's on the right side and goes through the lower firewall. It has nothing to do with the ignition or lights. You can unplug it at the computer and remove it . you will have to remove the bulb for the check engine light

jfetch27

n00b
Jan 7, 2017
I figured I would have to remove the bulb but none of the plugs are marked for what they are or any of that. Literally looking at a bunch of wires with no way to trace.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You can tee the oil pressure/temp/volts fittings into the idiot lights.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Reactions: 1 user

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
As long as it is an oldsmobile 350, remove the harness that runs from the passenger side wheel well area. That is unneeded. Just drop the engine in and wire up the pink or purple wire to the distributor and the starter wiring/alternator. You should have less than 10 wires total to make it run and charge. You may still have a few wires leftover, just tie them off where they are safe.

Reactions: 1 user

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
As long as it is an oldsmobile 350, remove the harness that runs from the passenger side wheel well area. That is unneeded. Just drop the engine in and wire up the pink or purple wire to the distributor and the starter wiring/alternator. You should have less than 10 wires total to make it run and charge. You may still have a few wires leftover, just tie them off where they are safe.
Try to seperate both harnesses. The one on the driver side is for the alternator, starter, distributor, temperature gauge (should be green), oil pressure (should be brown), electric choke (blue), and air conditioner compressor. The choke and oil pressure go together. The other harness is the ecm. All the components it plugged into were on the old motor. Either eliminate it or swap over the stuff from your old motor . good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor