Olds 350 Performance (Opinions Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

79Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2007
Omaha, Nebraska
We would like to run 13.79 or better in our 79 H/O

Here's the deal, the reason I chose this number is that my Mustang ran a 13.8. It will have to be in full street trim, through the exhaust and on real street tires (probably 245/60-14 BFG T/A's). I don't want to use Nitrous (yet!) and the car has had a set of 3.42:1 gears installed by a previous owner.

Years ago I had a cousin that had a '72 442 with a 350 I remember that he put a cam, headers and intake (I think is was a SP2P...remember those???) with a holley. That car ran 14.14 with 3.08's and should be a heavier car!?!

Anyhow what do you think??

Thanks for your replys and opinions,

Scott and Erik

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
your goal is very possable and not as expencive as some may think. I thank the 3.42 gears are a good starting point my 79 camaro ran 13.6 @109 with 3.42's . it had a sbc 350 with stock bottom end from a 81 truck i fitted it with camel hump heads and a comp 224 deration cam with .470 lift a 600 cfm carb and headers. the big thing to do is get mached parts like cam valve springs and so on. your car is lighter than my camaro and has a better rear suspension. with your 350 olds i would install a mild cam and matching valve springs a dual plane intake and round a 600-650 cfm carb maybe have some port work done on the heads and mill them a little go for around 9.5- 10.0 compression. good luck with your set up and if you get close you can re gear to dile it in exactly.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The Olds 350 is possibly one of the most underrated GM engines. I suspect that your 79 block may have windowed main webs, which are not your best choice for performance. Get a set of #5, 6, or 7 heads and install the larger valves like a W-31. The Performer RPM is a nice manifold choice. Headers are a must, since all 350s use the crappy small block exhaust manifolds. There were never any dedicated high-flow factory dual exhaust manifolds for the SBO.

If you really want to build a stout engine, get a forged crank from a 64-67 330 Olds and the beefier rods from a 403. You'll need to rebalance and use an early flywheel, but that should give you a pretty bulletproof bottom end. I strongly reccommend a dual pattern cam, since Olds exhaust ports are awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor