Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
R45S

.040"

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
it kinda depends on the ignition system. if it's stock, see the above post. if you have upgraded it (higher power coil, bigger wires and better plugs) then start at .040 and increase it bu .005 increments. drive the car for a few dozen (minimum 100mi is beter) miles to see the condition. i'm running a chevy 383ci at .060 (.035 stock) with an upgraded ignition, including platinim plugs.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think I run a .45 gap with my modified HEI. I have an Accel coil and a MSD module with a rev limiter in mine, but I still run stock gaps with my NGK V Power's. What kind of ignition system do you have? Stock Delco points from the 1971 engine or maybe an HEI or some aftermarket ignition? The kind of ignition you have determines what plug gap you can run. Points ignition, for example, is relatively weak since it has a ballast resistor to cut the voltage and increase the life of the points.

kifried

Apprentice
Feb 3, 2008
Wichita, KS
I have AC Delco platinum plugs, I gap'ed them at .035 but haven't really run the engine yet, so I can take them out and re-gap them.

The engine has a MSD distributor with MSD wires, though the coil is the stock one that was on the previous buick 307. I plan on upgrading that sometime in the near future.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I have an Accel coil .
Really?!
I had an accell racing coil in my street stock, first week out made half a lap and the car totally died and wouldnt start.
The coil went bad, went back to the stock coil, ran it for 4 years flawlessly.
Never looked back, good to know some people have better luck then me :D

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Just Karter said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I have an Accel coil .
Really?!
I had an accell racing coil in my street stock, first week out made half a lap and the car totally died and wouldnt start.
The coil went bad, went back to the stock coil, ran it for 4 years flawlessly.
Never looked back, good to know some people have better luck then me :D

Mine has been on the car since 1996 and still works fine. I am not a huge fan of it however, and plan on eventually swapping to a complete MSD HEI distributor in the future which comes with a coil, cap, rotor, etc. My distributor came out of a 1977 Chevy Impala wagon, and cost me $10 back when I did the swap in the mid 90's. I want to upgrade to a new unit as I feel the old one is well...old. Plus, the advance curve is easier to tailor on the MSD HEI than the Delco unit, and my engine likes initial advance but needs less total. I could mod the GM unit by welding the window part way, but I just want something I know is good.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
set it stock--.040 if you upgrade the coil then just re-gap 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor