Olds 350 transmission help! Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2016
Hey guys.. i have a 85 cutlass with a olds 350 i bought off craigslist a yr ago.. i didnt know much about it other than it ran and drove... i always loved g bodys and this is not my first and im currently starting to work on them myself little by little, anywho the trans started slipping months months ago and i just parked it. I would step on the gas and the engine would roar n rev but it wont move. It goes in reverse fine, but stays completely still on Drive.. i put half a bottle of lucas in there to see if it did anything. Nothing.. im looking at new trannys to buy. I have a guy that will put it in for me i just want to buy a transmission that will bolt on with no mods... im trying to get it running so i can sell it.. i see there are long tail or shorttails i just dont want to buy the wrong one.. i didnt know much about the car when i bought it its a olds 350 the heads are blue. Any help will be appriciated.

May 19, 2016
Would depend on what trans you have
Man i dont even know.... the guy at trans shop said olds 350 came with a 200 trans, i basically dont kno without paying to tow the car to the shop and have the shop guys look at it... which im on a budget lol damn me

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Do you have a jack and jack stands? If you can lift the car and safely support it so that you can get underneath to see the transmission we can help you identify it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If it is a TH200 trans, no wonder it failed. Either a TH350 or a TH2004R is a direct swap, the TH350 is cheaper to overhaul but no overdrive gear. Here is a link to indentify the trans. The 200 and 2004R trans have metric on the pans. https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/josephhodge/Forum%20Use/transid-1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/20-6-2l-diesel-engine/418446-transmission-i-d.html&docid=jT5AlH32LyOefM&tbnid=FUmky1iDM1_bXM:&vet=1&w=700&h=414&client=tablet-android-asus-rev&bih=601&biw=962&q=gm trans identification&ved=0ahUKEwicttWo8pDSAhXmyoMKHcTwDhEQMwgdKAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8. If it is factory paint that makes it a 75 to 80 motor. There are big numbers in front of the number one spark plug, behind number 8 spark plugs on the heads and numbers by the oil fill tube behind the water pump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor