Olds 350 valve cover clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
Does anyone know or have a part number on a set of valve covers that will clear roller rockers and not hit the heater core box an ‘85 442. I’m getting ready to do a motor swap and the motor has tall Rocket Racing aluminum valve covers and I’m afraid they’re not going to clear without modifying or deleting the box.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Factory covers will work but may need double valve cover gaskets or valve cover spacers. Other than the very tall fabricated valve covers, Edelbrock chrome covers and Chinese chrome covers, few exist new. The M/T, Hardin and Edelbrock aluminum valve covers that have no baffles clear but are no longer made. The last set of Chinese chrome valve covers I bought at least 10 years ago leaked and rusted but. There are a taller version of the Chinese chrome valve covers available.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ofy-5595/overview/make/oldsmobile
These would work but are very pricey, would look awesome but you would have to wait for Offy to do their once a year run.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Oldsmobile-T.../1626293363?iid=142530445930&rt=nc&opts=opick
These are affordable Chinese tall chrome covers.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
1650007B-6D8C-463D-A394-BFE48FC3A4AC.jpeg
Factory covers will work but may need double valve cover gaskets or valve cover spacers. Other than the very tall fabricated valve covers, Edelbrock chrome covers and Chinese chrome covers, few exist new. The M/T, Hardin and Edelbrock aluminum valve covers that have no baffles clear but are no longer made. The last set of Chinese chrome valve covers I bought at least 10 years ago leaked and rusted but. There are a taller version of the Chinese chrome valve covers available.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ofy-5595/overview/make/oldsmobile
These would work but are very pricey, would look awesome but you would have to wait for Offy to do their once a year run.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Oldsmobile-T.../1626293363?iid=142530445930&rt=nc&opts=opick
These are affordable Chinese tall chrome covers.
Thanks for the information. These are the ones I have now and I love them but I really don’t want to lose or modify the box.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice 350, what are the specs? Those are extremely nice but extremely tall valve covers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Old school cam, make sure you have enough stall. Using the 2004R? Of course it would need some upgrades.The stock D5 is rated at 2400 rpm. What carb are your running? The Street Demon 750 or modified 800 cfm Qjet would work great with that motor.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Hopefully they put enough clearance if they used the Speedpro forged pistons, the directions are wrong, .002 instead of the .004" minimum needed. Did they mill the Edelbrock heads? If not, you will be around 9 to 1 compression. Not trying to be negative, just trying to make sure everything goes smoothly and runs they way it should.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
Hopefully they put enough clearance if they used the Speedpro forged pistons, the directions are wrong, .002 instead of the .004" minimum needed. Did they mill the Edelbrock heads? If not, you will be around 9 to 1 compression. Not trying to be negative, just trying to make sure everything goes smoothly and runs they way it should.
The motor was already built and ran. It was in a ‘72 Cutlass and drag raced. The guy tore it down to freshen it up and put a hydraulic cam in it and decided to build a bigger motor so he put this one up for sell.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I run stock valve covers on my 455 in my 79 cutlass I cut the baffels on one set but the last set I just dimpled where the nuts were in the baffle until it fit I have no clearence issues with my box

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor