Olds 350 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
ok guys im pretty much new to the oldsmobile motor thing.... i have a stock 69' 350 rocket w/ 71 #8 heads.... what is the highest the RPMs will go without screwing the motor up
im using it as a daily driver

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
In 71' they used #7 not #8 heads. The #8's didn't come out till 73 with the gas crunch and had 79cc chambers as opposed to the earlier 64cc so you might want to double check on that.

But either way the block is still a solid main web block and while I don't have personal experience with them, built they are supposedly good for 6k's all day long. But since were talking about stock I would keep it under 5000 RPM.

Does the motor even make good power at that kind of RPM with those heads?
If your still under 5k and the motor starts to feel like it's falling on it's face then I would just shift then and not waste your time not making any power.

My 87 olds would shift itself at 4k rpms but had a 4.5k rpm readline so I used to try to rev it out to that but it made no power that high so I just let it shift by itself.

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
it was a typo i made... i have the shift light set at 3500 soo i wasnt sure but thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor