Olds 442 engine swap question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
hello friends. I’m currently swapping my olds 307 for my small block Chevy so I can drive it during the summer. The olds engine is tired and needs rebuilding. Can I bolt my 350 engine to the 2004r Scott free?
I have both converters (th350 and 200-4r) and both flywheels As well
I also have both styles of crossmember and both shafts for either transmission type.
is the 200-4R compatible with the th350 crossmember with the correct Mount?
I run dual exhaust and already have it modified for the pipes.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, it will bolt to the trans, almost all of them are dual bolt pattern. Only some very early ones were supposedly were BOP only. You also need sbc mounts, brackets and accessories. The TH2004R uses a different converter than the TH350. Your 442 has the factory D5 high stall. The sbc flywheel is different than the Olds V8. There are more Ford Windsor parts that will bolt on an Olds V8 vs sbc parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Oldsdank81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
Yes, it will bolt to the trans, almost all of them are dual bolt pattern. Only some very early ones were supposedly were BOP only. You also need sbc mounts, brackets and accessories. The TH2004R uses a different converter than the TH350. Your 442 has the factory D5 high stall. The sbc flywheel is different than the Olds V8. There are more Ford Windsor parts that will bolt on an Olds V8 vs sbc parts.
Well I was running this Chevy engine in another cutlass but unfortunately it was in an accident and the frame took a hit but engine accessories and trans is A ok.
I found a 442 for a deal no one could pass up for the 8.5 rear Alone. I just wanted to know if I could utilize the overdrive trans without a hassle and parts search.
I have all front drive accessories for the sbc. I also have a Chevy 4.3 that originally have a 200-4r perhaps that flywheel could work assuming the cranks and rear seals are the same

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The hook up is the same spot for a TH350 as the 2004R for the flex plate connection. Honestly an Olds 350 is much more worthwhile motor to build especially if you have a later 7A head swirl port Olds 307. Of course there is a 4" stroke crank available for the Olds 307 and you want original and around 370 CI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor