Olds 455 Serpentine Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCKTMN94

n00b
Oct 18, 2010
I have an '88 Cutlass with an Olds 455. The previous owner installed it and removed the A.C. from the engine. As usual, it suffers from the belt squeal caused by not having the A.C. belt attached.
I need a temporary solution that will be usable when I reinstall A.C. in the car. I am considering the Dick Miller serpentine pulley set. It uses a single belt for everything but the A.C. with a separate V-belt to run the A.C.. I am hoping to use this as a quick fix for the belt squeal until I put a compressor back on the engine.
Has anyone used their kit without A.C.?

Thanks,
Paul

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I'm curious as well, I have the same year cutlass and engine combo as you and wanted serpentine belt. I've seen guys that have fabbed their own setup out of Chevy parts or Olds diesel parts but not sure what to use.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A member on Classic Olds had issues with the Dick Miller set up. Going to a triple crank pulley and dual pulley power steering pump allows your alternator to stay where it is. Your A/C brackets need lengthening to work on the 455.

Reactions: 1 user

RG383Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2015
B1EF10F6-FB32-454B-85D8-844B45EF9C0E.jpeg I ran the Dick Miller pulley non AC set up on a 350 with power steering for several years without any issues. I went to this set up because my 350 would always throw the belts. I currently run that same set up on an Olds 455 in a 83 Cutlass. Also I went to manual gear box.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
You could always move the alternator to the passenger side, that seems to help with that type of belt issue. Also purchasing new V-belt pullys will also help…

HOAdrian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2015
Gainesville, FL
I have a couple of sets of non-A/C alternator brackets somewhere if you decide to move the alternator over to the passenger side. You could try scuffing the grooves of your pulleys first. They wear pretty slick.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor