Olds 80/81 3-spoke wheel horn circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OK, so I put my new 3-spoke wheel on the Cutlass yesterday, but apparently I'm missing a little doodad or whatever to complete the horn circuit. The old wheel had the usual pigtail/barrel/spring setup, but this needs something else, maybe just a spring or something that goes down into the hole on the column.... I will go back out and snap some pics here soon.

anyone know what I'm talking about?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I'm wondering if it's like the Monte SS style wheel?

344.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Ok so after studying it a little, looks like maybe all I need is a spring down in that hole. Time to go find an old ballpoint pen.

As u can see here the cap has the post that goes down in there, and it looks like the rest of the cap grounds out. So when the plates contact.... I'll report in later.

IMG_2072.JPG

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'm wondering if it's like the Monte SS style wheel?

344.jpg

That's a possibility right there. But it looks longer than I think there's room for

No I think that's it exactly now that I look down in there with a flashlight. I can see the slot for that barrel. I wonder if I can reuse that part of this pigtail..... hmmm.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That's a possibility right there. But it looks longer than I think there's room for

I've sold a few Monte SS wheels....it does look long but it all fits in there real nice. The Monte SS wheel uses the Belleville spring but that Olds wheel has that long piece that sticks down so not sure on that.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
ordered one off ebay, should have it middle of next week.... but yeah I just realized that I do have one of those already... behind the formula wheel in the GP. :blam: too bad its not coming out. :cool:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
ordered one off ebay, should have it middle of next week.... but yeah I just realized that I do have one of those already... behind the formula wheel in the GP. :blam: too bad its not coming out. :cool:
I thought of you and your GP recently since you indicated your GP is an ex-diesel car like mine. I've successfully removed all of the extra sound deadening on the firewall and its not a fun job. They smeared on so much pucky to fasten/seal that thing. It caused some minor rust issues on my firewall as well, with the padding trapping moisture. What's going on with your GP? Haven't seen an update on it in a long time. Engine trouble?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Been doing other stuff. I will have all the time in the world soon to get these cars back in business. Anywho....

Got that 'spensive little pin/spring/bushing installed and just as we expected that was the ticket. same part GM used since the 60s.

IMG_2079.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor