Olds diesel, sat for 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
Just got a Cutlass Supreme diesel. Hasn't ran in at least 8 years but it was well taken care of when it ran. At first she wouldn't crank over, but I replaced the starter solenoid, drained the tank, and replaced the fuel filter. Now it'll crank but she wont start up. There is fuel getting all the way to the injection pump. I'm afraid my problem stems from the pump or the injectors, but I'm unsure of which. Any thoughts? Also, my solenoid or one of my connections to it is sparking right when I first turn the key. I've re-routed my positive cable down to it thinking it was the problem, and no wires that I can tell are touching anything they shouldn't. Is this possibly a ground problem?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You probably will need to bleed the air out of the injector lines. Loosen the lines were they go on the injectors. Turn it over until you have fuel leaking from all lines. Then tighten them up. Older diesels are pretty easy to work on.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I had issues with the Olds diesel that had sat for around 20 years when I first tried starting it throwing sparks and eventually melting the battery wire off. Turned out to be the starter had gotten corroded internally and was shorting out and causing it. Quick rebuild and all was good. As far as not starting its probably air, after it sits for so long the fuel kind of backs out of the lines and or turns into wax in the lines. If you crack loose each injector tube at the injector and give it a few cranks you will usually see fuel spitting out and you can pump the air out that way. Good luck and if you ever want to sell it give me a shout

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
As far as not starting its probably air, after it sits for so long the fuel kind of backs out of the lines and or turns into wax in the lines. If you crack loose each injector tube at the injector and give it a few cranks you will usually see fuel spitting out and you can pump the air out that way.
So, I did bleed the lines and there still isn't anything happening. Could it be my compression?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
So, I did bleed the lines and there still isn't anything happening. Could it be my compression?
What do you mean not happening? No fuel, or will not run? First thing is to make sure your battery is turning the engine over fast enough. Second thing make sure it is getting plenty of fuel to the injectors. If it is smoking out the exhaust but will not run. Then it is getting plenty of fuel, just not ignighting it. Jeck your glow plugs or air heater. Make sure they are working. If it still will not run you need to check compression. Low compression diesels need to turn over fast and have glow plugs to run. Try a little either and see if it will pop on that.

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
do not.. I repeat do not use ether to start the engine. These engines will not start on ether. Use wd-40. Check the glow plugs unless its 100 degrees outside (lol) she will not start with out the glow plugs. what year is the cutlass? does your wait to start light cycle like it should. Depending on the model on the passenger side fender not far from the battery is a solenoid, if you have this you should hear it cycle during the first turn on of the ignition. Mine is an 1981 with only 85K and I simply love her. 1983 and 1984 they used a computer controlled ecm not just the basics. I will try to help as much as I can

Reactions: 1 user

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
If your glow plugs are anything like the ones used in the 6.2 diesels, they spec out at 3 ohms or less. Most likely about 1.7 ohms is a good one. anything more than 3 ohms, replace

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Glow plugs for sure check, mine from sitting most all of them were weak or not working, second make sure the pulses of fuel coming from the injection pump are strong, mine were very weak where the internal seals of the injection pump were ate up from sitting. Rebuilt pumps are available or you could have your existing one rebuilt if you have to

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
Just got a Cutlass Supreme diesel. Hasn't ran in at least 8 years but it was well taken care of when it ran. At first she wouldn't crank over, but I replaced the starter solenoid, drained the tank, and replaced the fuel filter. Now it'll crank but she wont start up. There is fuel getting all the way to the injection pump. I'm afraid my problem stems from the pump or the injectors, but I'm unsure of which. Any thoughts? Also, my solenoid or one of my connections to it is sparking right when I first turn the key. I've re-routed my positive cable down to it thinking it was the problem, and no wires that I can tell are touching anything they shouldn't. Is this possibly a ground problem?
read my post below. maybe we can talk phone?

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
So, I checked my glow plugs, they look pretty good. There is fuel coming out my lines but it looks kinda weak. Definitely gonna get a new starter and check the injection pump. I understand these engines often blew head gaskets so if it's not the pump and it's compression then that's what I'll check. I need to find a little time is all, I'm currently going to college, gonna be a machinist. Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. I'll get some pictures up maybe. She's a really clean car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor