Olds diesel wont stay running

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Ok so as many of you have probably seen my gf and I bought a 1982 Cutlass supreme with the 350 olds diesel. Well after some tinkering, a new fuel filter, and two new batteries I decided to try and fire it. It was really sluggish to turn over at first but after that it spun great and with the help of a little starting fluid it fired up and revved for a second then died. Now I know air in the lines sucks for a diesel however we continued this process for a while and with each time we thought it was running on its own. I even got the throttle to respond a couple times before it died. So now on to the question, does anyone know what would make it start and rev for a second then die out? I guess maybe all the air might not be worked out but this situation seems unusual compared to the work ive done on the 6.5 turbo diesels. My first thought was a bad injection pump but I hope not since I have no idea what to do with that one

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
One of the major flaws with those engines was they have no water separator in the fuel system. The injector pump has steel parts in it. Water+steel, we all know what happens. I wonder how long it sat up and what the condition of the fuel is? You may need to find someone to overhaul your injector pump for you.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
That's what I was thinking as well, the car sat since 1995, however when I took the old filter off the fuel was very clean with no sign of water at all which was pretty good. Im going to throw the new lift pump I got for it today and see if that helps any. I know after a while the diaphragm inside the old ones can deteriorate after it sits for a long time with diesel fuel in there

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Interesting, ive always used starter fluid on diesels that sat for a long time. But only the ones that said for diesel engines, noted and ill give the wd40 a shot. On another note I ran into a new issue, it melted a battery. I replaced the battery yesterday and hooked up the power side and when you go to touch the ground to the battery you get a huge spark. The ground wire on both sides go to the cylinder head which tells me that the starter is probably shorted out inside and is giving direct power to the block. Oh the joys of a car that has sat around. Having the gf take the starter into her work today to test it but I have a feeling itll come back bad. Its about the only thing that could supply that kind of short with the key turned off

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
The starter came back from test yesterday and they said it was good. However Im beginning to think that it is bad even though it spins. Like an internal short. I put the starter back on and very shakily touched the ground wire to the battery and got no sparks. Had good power so I did the same to the other battery and thank goodness no sparks there either. Loosened an injector tube to bleed the air and cranked it over for a second and shut the key off and got out to tighten the injector back and bam the passenger side ground cable melted again. So only after cranking the starter did I start having ground cable issues which leads me to think that the starter has a spot in it that lets the block get power.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I no nothing about the olds diesel but you have 2 batteries , are you sure its not a 24 volt starter ? That would explain melted ground wire, to much draw. Also is there a ground from block to car.

I always bleed the injectors by someone cranking the engine and me loosing the nut on the injector, crank it over 3 times tighten, repeat an so on.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I believe its still a 12 volt starter it just requires the two batteries to crank over the 22:1 compression engine. The only reason I do not believe its a draw issues is that its fine until you actually use the starter but its not until after I had already stopped cranking, gotten out of the car, shut the door, and headed around the car to check the injector that the thing started throwing sparks again like the block was energized. Its sitting now with the grounds disconnected because you cant even dare to touch them to the battery. There is a ground going from the engine to the car, a pretty big one from the factory

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor