Olds DX engine value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I see lots of probably running complete engines for $350-500. Unless you need a running engine which nobody does all a complete engine gets you is a block with no rust on the journals and maybe a oil pan and front cover. Woopdy do.

I'd refuse to pay over $200 for a block. Theres a guy on CL that has 3 blocks for $150 each.

Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I see lots of probably running complete engines for $350-500. Unless you need a running engine which nobody does all a complete engine gets you is a block with no rust on the journals and maybe a oil pan and front cover. Woopdy do.

I'd refuse to pay over $200 for a block. Theres a guy on CL that has 3 blocks for $150 each.

I mean i need a running 5.7 diesel...

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
I sold two for $750 twenty two years ago. I thought they'd go up in value, guess I was wrong. I still think a great platform for a race engine. Easy to do a 440 cubic inch engine using a 425 crankshaft. (One could put a 330/350 crankshaft with spacers) Most of the heavy hitters ran the diesel blocks. I haven't really seem the Rocket Racing Block engines in action. Maybe this year at the Miller meet. Those R&R blocks are $5,000.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I sold two for $750 twenty two years ago

For better or worse the GEN III Small Block Chevy aka LSx and to a lesser extent availability of aftermarket SBC blocks (e.g. DART, Speedmaster, etc) has driven the price of once desirable GM small blocks into the basement. With the ability to generate 1,000hp out of a junkyard 5.3 and some chinese turbos don't hold your breath and expect the prices of the old iron to come back up.

Not only were the DX blocks desirable 20 years Back in the 90s 400 SBCs fetched a decent price and today you can barely give 'em away, even the BBC 454s aren't fetching much money these days (unless it's an 1970 LS6). The trouble with the DX block based builds is it's hard to justify the money you're going to spend buying the DX block and 425 crank, then paying the machine shop for crank and block machining (not to mention the time and energy to track the parts down, 425 cranks aren't exactly common finds at the local swap or on craigslist). Only the die hard Olds racers are going to spend the extra time and energy to build up a DX. I'm really shocked at RR coming up with their block as I can imagine the market is very small.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
I have a DX block and a complete diesel engine still in an 1980 Riviera. If I dig out the dx block, I'll get out a std/std 425 crankshaft, balancer and flexplate to enhance the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor