Olds intake recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The end plan for my Cutlass is to swap in an Olds 403 in place of the original 305. I'll likely keep a stock bottom end and use early 350 heads for the CR benefits. Better than even chance that it'll keep a stock cam but might go with a mild modern grind. I'll be using a Quadrajet so a spreadbore is mandatory. The car is 99% cruiser with a 200-4R and 3.42s rounding out the combo.
Anyway, the Portland Swap Meet is coming up in a few weeks and I'd like to pick up an intake manifold for my future project. What is a favorite with you Olds experts? What should I be looking for? Common damage points? Top prices to pay?

-Must be spreadbore
-Must have stock hood clearance.
-Don't care about EGR either way.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
For the money, Id look for a stock intake. If your motor is basically stock I dont think there isnt much to be gained by going aftermarket other than saving a few pounds IMO.
Im no Olds expert by any means, but for me the differences in stock vs aftermarket intakes on most any motor stock has been minimal if not worse.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For the money, Id look for a stock intake. If your motor is basically stock I dont think there isnt much to be gained by going aftermarket other than saving a few pounds IMO.
Im no Olds expert by any means, but for me the differences in stock vs aftermarket intakes on most any motor stock has been minimal if not worse.
I disagree.
The factory always left plenty of meat on the bone as far as performance and efficiency is concerned. An engine is just a big air pump. The more efficiently you can move air in and out, the more noticeable the returns. There is the weight savings which, while minimal, will improve fuel economy over the long run, and a well designed and engineered intake will help boost power across the rpm band. Olds motors are low rpm, high torque motors, so stay with a quality dual plane intake such as the Edelbrock 2151, and match it with a good carb, (Q-jet is fine), but look at upgrading the exhaust side of things to take full advantage of the better flow. Getting more air in doesn't help you if you can't get it back out again.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014

I'm not too compliant with your last statement. You would definitely benefit from an aftermarket intake. Most stock Oldsmobile engines suffer from mismatched intake ports. Port matching an aftermarket intake manifold to your 350 heads will improve airflow reducing disruption and increasing air velocity. Most people don't consider velocity but only care about intake runner volume. Now it depends on what cam and what type of driving. "99% cruiser" I would only advise a port match, too many cc's in your heads will soften up your intake velocity. A low rpm tourqe monster only needs so much. Not only will you benefit from air flow but also in temps. Cast iron intakes are susceptible to heat sink. Aluminum will radiate the heat much more easier than iron. You will only get a couple HP's but when you take a little here and a little there it really adds up.

• Informative

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I disagree.
The factory always left plenty of meat on the bone as far as performance and efficiency is concerned. An engine is just a big air pump. The more efficiently you can move air in and out, the more noticeable the returns. There is the weight savings which, while minimal, will improve fuel economy over the long run, and a well designed and engineered intake will help boost power across the rpm band. Olds motors are low rpm, high torque motors, so stay with a quality dual plane intake such as the Edelbrock 2151, and match it with a good carb, (Q-jet is fine), but look at upgrading the exhaust side of things to take full advantage of the better flow. Getting more air in doesn't help you if you can't get it back out again.
Furthermore, if you are indeed contemplating a cam swap to a more modern grind and profile, I would strongly recommend it, it will be well worth the $$. Just don't get too carried away with too big a profile; I.e. lift and duration #'s. Remember, all the parts need to work together with one another. My best suggestion is to contact your cam mfg'r and get their recommendation. They'll ask you, vehicle weight, rear gear, trans and converter selection and a bunch of other questions, but it's all to recommend the right cam for your application and driving demands/style.

• Informative

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had a 76' Olds 88 4 door that had a 455 in it and I put on a Edelbrock Performer along with a Holley 650 spreadbore carb and split the exhaust to make it dual. The engine and trans were bone stock and this thing had a lot of torque to move that tank and never bogged with that carb.
The intake fit like stock and if I was looking for a used one the common area for corrosion would be under the thermostat housing area.
I actually bought a 81' Cutlass to put the 455/400 combo in but was too busy with the Chevy's and sold both cars and yes I still regret it.

• Informative

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Weight savings in a consideration and dual exhaust is certainly on the menu (forgot to mention it in my opening post). Good tip on the port matching.

What I'm mainly looking for from you guys with more Olds experience than me is specific intakes to look for or to avoid. From my research it looks like I should probably steer clear of the Offy Dual-Port.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Edelbrock Performer RPM is the best choice IMO. There's a guy on the various Olds forums who done back to back test between the Performer, the RPM, and stock. He claims better ET's and mph with the RPM and these tests were done on multiple stock small blocks.

With a drop base air cleaner, the RPM will fit under the hood.

Now there are some who might say the regular Performer would be a better a choice for a stockish motor as the RPM is going to rob you of a bunch of low end torque just to give marginal gains up top. I ain't buying that though as there are too many people who have first hand experience that show that ain't true. I too have installed an RPM on my old 350 weenie engine and though I don't think I noticed any big gains up top I most certainly did NOT lose any bottom end.

With a cam swap ( highly recommended ) the RPM is a no brained IMO. Without a cam swap I still believe it's better than anything else for your combo.

• Informative

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Edelbrock Performer RPM is the best choice IMO. There's a guy on the various Olds forums who done back to back test between the Performer, the RPM, and stock. He claims better ET's and mph with the RPM and these tests were done on multiple stock small blocks.

With a drop base air cleaner, the RPM will fit under the hood.

Now there are some who might say the regular Performer would be a better a choice for a stockish motor as the RPM is going to rob you of a bunch of low end torque just to give marginal gains up top. I ain't buying that though as there are too many people who have first hand experience that show that ain't true. I too have installed an RPM on my old 350 weenie engine and though I don't think I noticed any big gains up top I most certainly did NOT lose any bottom end.

With a cam swap ( highly recommended ) the RPM is a no brained IMO. Without a cam swap I still believe it's better than anything else for your combo.
I agree, however to take FULL advantage of the RPM intake, more extensive engine mods and better flowing heads would be needed.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor