Olds Slant Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What was the idea behind the slant back, was it for aerodynamics or just styling?. I have been trying it find that info on the car but I've come up empty. ..... :popcorn:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
From a 1989 article: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-04-02-fi-1558-story.html
In the meantime, GM must continue to muddle through with its current lineup, paying for the mistakes of the 1980s.

GM design officials now openly concede those mistakes, and recognize they have no choice but to change.

Forced to quickly downsize its fleet to meet mileage standards in the late 1970s and early 1980s, re-engineering cars to make them smaller became a much higher priority than exterior styling. In the end, GM shrank many of its longer models so badly that they lost their identity.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
What was the idea behind the slant back, was it for aerodynamics or just styling?. I have been trying it find that info on the car but I've come up empty. ..... :popcorn:
I was sort of wondering the same thing. I have just finished welcoming a new member from Germany only few minutes ago. He has an Oldsmobile slantback, i have an old Ford Pinto runabout with the hatchback in the garage. The only thing I can think of is the large opening that it is easy to load/unload. They call some of those cars like that "aero", it can't be for their looks.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
that is basically opinion based. I would think that all vehicles are wind tunnel tested and I'd like to see if there were any benefits of the slant back...I know the G body sedan has a problem with the roof and rear window design causing a major vaccum at that area which lifts the back end at high speeds
Some how GM did get it right with the LeMans since Nascar banned the '81's for being "too good" on the track. Out of the notch backs, it does look like the Malibu/Leman/Grand Am coupes have the best stock rear window for aerodynamics.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor