Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You guys are awesome. Truly. Thank you.

I think I am going to sleep on it. Do some research and maybe try some local LS swap groups first, and make a decision from there.

And you are right, a 4.8 or 5.3 is a much better choice for what I am doing. However as we have seen recently, I don't often make the best decisions. lol
I’m not saying better - I’m saying different. Which is better? Wish I knew. Personally, I like the low dollar factor of the 4.8 and 5.3.
With all of that said, I have a 6k mile 6.0 take out of Mitsu with a broken oil pump spring - FOR FREE. No DOD, but vvt. We were discussing last evening, over a beer or two, filling the block and putting 1k$ set of rods and pistons in it after filling the block and seeing what 40 psi will do.

Ahhh - bench racing - straight up track build though.

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
4.8L

• Haha
  • Scared
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
So, you don't have 30k floating around to build a big *ss cube Olds in a Rocket Racing block? I guess I can see where changing engines is more fun......or not.
I'd wanna go fast so I'd build another pontiac. 😆

4.8L

Yup, I agree I drank the coolaid, But in my defense I bought the A motor for $400 in 2013.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The 4.8 is the proverbial ace up your sleeve. It has the fat cylinder walls and the best rod angle. It's a big cam and worked heads boost wh*re. I'm of the opinion that they can take the most abuse of all the LS engine family. 5.3 through 6.2 all share the same crank stroke. 4.8 and LS7 are the odd stroke duo, just at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Out of boost is the only possible weak area and they are still plenty strong to push these cars at super legal speeds on atmosphere. Don't be ashamed to clown the dude bro with his flat billed Starter hat and fresh Air Jordans in his mom's Jag.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
So, you don't have 30k floating around to build a big *ss cube Olds in a Rocket Racing block? I guess I can see where changing engines is more fun......or not.

You can get the short block billet forged Rocket Racing Olds 455 for around $15k. Billet crank and the bottom end can handle about 2,000 HP+
Top end will cost you another $3k for aluminum heads and intake.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You can get the short block billet forged Rocket Racing Olds 455 for around $15k. Billet crank and the bottom end can handle about 2,000 HP+
Top end will cost you another $3k for aluminum heads and intake.
SD Performance would build a monster 500 inch Pontiac motor for that money. As would Butler. SD is in canuckistan and only a days drive to pick up.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Dual fuel rails!

I've always wondered why people don't do that more. 36lb or something small on the main side and garden hoses for the high boost stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Guess I have to step my game up sooner than later 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor