vm1971

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2007
cherry hill, NJ

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
You said let you know what we think. I think I really like the start of your web page idea. I also really like the shirts. You know Buick & Cadillac both made more torque than the Olds motor though don't you. Its cool though anything is refreshing after looking at a whole lot full of sbcs at the car show cramined in everthing even in applications where they were far from the best or even most economical choice.

If you have not already check out www.robertpowersmotorsports.com Bob's real drive it out of state AC working power brakes street car ran 12.3@110 and got 14.5 mpg before being stolen. He has a good recipe that he would have worked into the 11s with better mileage given time.

Question if this is primarily a street car and you already have a great core 200-4R transmission and the coveted 8.5 rear why step back to a th-400 and a 9" ford. Yes I know they are stronger which if you are building a 9 second drag car makes total sense but it does not sound like thats your plan. Also since you have a g-body consider takeing advantage of the ability to do an in tank electric fuel pump. Like you I have been playing with g-bodys a long time actually since November of 86. I have always worked on building real street cars that I take to the track & not the other way around so I have picked up some out of the box solutions that are generally just overlooked by most. Keep updateing your page and consider tieing it to the g-body webring.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thanks for the kind words both of you.

Vern; The robertpowers web page was one of the first pages I found back when I first got the itch to do this build. It was a huge motivater. I actually downloaded and printed a few of the tech articles he put together. Good stuff!

I decided on the TH400 and 9" rear because of my budget. I plan on my 468 to put out somewhere in the high 400's to low 500's on HP, and in the 570's on torque. I want to put in the trans and rear and forget about it. I know full well that you can quote as many articles on how the 200-4R can be modified to take that abuse as I can post articles on why it's not a good choice for upper power ranges. I've never heard debate on if the TH400 can take the heat. The TCI SuperStreetFighter is rated to withstand 600HP. When it comes to any performance car no matter what level of performance, I am a big fan of overkill. The 9" I like because; not only is it stronger than the stink off a stew bum, it's easy to change out gears from cruising to track day.

I also wanted to go "retro" by doing the opposite of the trend today (take old car put in fuel inj. and overdrive with modern drivetrain) and run a set up like you may have found in a 69 442.

To each his own I say. Have you got any pics posted of your ride? It sounds like a lot of fun on the street.

How would I get on the G-Body webring if I wanted to?

Thanks again,
Hutch

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
For the G-body webring go back to gbody forum home and scrowl down to the bottom their is a link as well as links for a GN & MCSS rings. Is the 8.5 missing because I'm thinking remove the 8.5 secure a 9" fabricate & install hows that economical. No digs just asking. The 9 is heavy sucks away more fuel & power but their is comfort in overkill. Being able to change gears is very helpful when you are working with a 3 speed. Fortunately with the OD I am geared for the 1/4 & hwy. I was surprised to see the TCI Streetfighter listed at $1,484? Bowtie overdrives lists the billet drum/shaft 200-4r for 1,495. But I am sure the th-400 is stronger. My 509 should also make about 450HP 570TQ when it comes back together. Sorry I don't have pics of it online. I do need to do that.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The 9" was one of the first things I bought. Found a local company that prefabs 9" rears for GN's. It was $1200 for housing-posi 3:50 center-strange axles. I sold the 8.5 (3:73 single track) for just over $400. I had est. about $500 for posi and stronger axles and I would still have a little weaker rear than the 9". Now I can run slicks or whatever and I have no worries, and I only had to pay the difference of $300. ($500 to upgrade 8.5 vs +$400 for sale of rear and another $800 for 9": take away $500 I would have spent anyway= $300)= = Peace of mind. At 40 years old I've been running TH400's since my first car at 17. It was a Nova with a 400 SBC, TH400, 4.11 12 bolt. Like most 17 year olds I was stupid in a way, and did things to that drivetrain no rational person should do. Never broke, never had it serviced, never even changed the fluid for about the first four years. That trans lasted through my first three hot rods and is still on the road somewhere in a 72 Chevelle, as of 2002! No amount of words of praise will sell me off of that trans.

Thanks for the webring info. If we don't chat again till 08, Merry Christmas+Happy New Year!

Hutch

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I don't want to sell you off the th-400. I'm 42 have had several of them and always had good luck with them. That said yes I do love the built 200-4Rs for my goals. I hope you are going to put on your webpage about your engine build. Most people don't know let alone put down how they derived at thier actual static and better yet dynamic compression for pump gas. Or their head flow & cam specs and why they chose to do X. Or their timeing and carb info after they got it dialed in on the dyno or at the track. Just stuff I like to see and is extremely helpful for the engine building noobs that are seriously trying to build something right and actually make the numbers its suppossed to and hang together.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The original plan was a four part video series consisting of;

1. Frame
2. Suspension/Brakes
3. Engine/Trans
4. Body/Paint/Wrap up & Shake down

I plan to devote a whole video to the engine build up. Specifically why I chose this over that, Heads-Cam-Bottom end-Intake-Carbs-Bracket fab-and a ton of little tricks and tips I've gathered from various magazine articles and on the web.

To tell the truth all the money coming in is from the shirt sales. I'm going to make the next video on the Susp/Brakes, but if I can't get sales from the video's I'll prob stop there. It is a huge pain in the *ss filming what your working on. A good example is the removal of the parking brake cable from the body to drop the frame. Normally a 5 minute job right? It took me an hour! I would have the wrong camera angle and have to reinstall it and start over and then I would flub what I was saying and start over, and then my kids would run through the garage and I would start over, and on and on and on. That was probably the worst experience I had while filming, but all the restarts add up and is really dragging out the project. All the late nights editing video when I could be thrashing on the car, got old. I'm rambling now and at this point in for a penny in for a pound. Bottom line; No sales-No videos.

I just launched the site in Sept and I'm still trying to get the word out so I'll give it another year or so before I decide what to do.

I guess to respond to what your saying; Yes I plan to report everything I do. All specs, adjustments, and parts used. That is one of my big pet peeves that I didn't put on the Home Page; The parts I use are because I have faith in them through past experience or through word of mouth from friends, not because their sponsoring this episode so we have to use their intake ect. ect. I get that feel from all the car shows on tv now. It's all about product placement and pushing parts. The armor all cheesy plugs are my favorite thing to hate now. Thanks guys that was a critical part of the build; shining the tires and dash board....give me a break!

WOW I needed two soap boxes for that. I'm out of words and my keyboard's smoking.

See ya
Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor