Olds V8 squeaking noise, not belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoehornhands

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2019
Hey everyone, first post here, thanks for looking.

I swapped a 1970 Olds 350 into my Monte, built the engine myself, my first time ever doing so. Got it up and running but it's making a horrific squeaking sound, which you can hear in this video:

There was no change to the sound when I ran it for a moment with the belts removed so I know it's not a belt or a pulley. And I do have adequate oil pressure.

I need to do some more poking around, maybe with a stethoscope, but I'm on the road driving a truck right now so I was hoping you guys could weigh in and let me know if it sounds familiar or if there's anything in particular that you think I should check. Thanks

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It's just your Monte screaming because there is an Olds in it's engine bay and somewhere there is a Cutlass screaming because someone put a SBC in it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Vacuum leak. Spray some starting fluid or Brakleen around the hoses , base of carb, and vacuum hoses. If it idles up, you found the leak
Also check carb ports; I had a cap dry rot and crack.

Reactions: 1 users

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Ok. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have a metal flexplate cover on the trans?

Did you pull the valve covers while it was running and making the noise?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
is there oil in the engine?.... :giggle:

make sure the torque converter bolts are tight

Reactions: 1 user

shoehornhands

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2019
Ok. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have a metal flexplate cover on the trans?

Did you pull the valve covers while it was running and making the noise?
No, it's uncovered right now. And no, not yet. Are you thinking bent pushrod? Broken valve?

I keep looking stuff up on YouTube and I find a lot of knocking videos and not much squeaking. Very frustrating

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally don't hear anything that would suggest valvetrain noise.
I would like a new video with no belts and enough light to see the engine.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor