CUTLASS Oldsmobile dash emblem replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you've ever looked at your dash emblem on your G-body Cutlass/442 and thought, dang, I need to replace that sucker, then don't start yankin' on it or you might cause more problems.

First, don't fall in love with the emblem on the car. Reason I say this is that upon removal, there's a very good chance one or both stems will break off upon removal. It's difficult to get them out without damaging something. I don't have any pics of the actual process, but I'll try to explain as best I can.

Know what you're dealing with. You have a vinyl dash that now is 30-40 years old more than likely. Behind it is foam. Which is probably crispy as bacon. It's not going to be as pliable as it once was. Then, you look at the retaining stems on the emblem and you can see why they're a PITA. Especially when removing.

Olds dash emblem pins.JPG

1. First, make sure you have some plastic pry tools. They're fairly cheap on Amazon and other places. You don't have to get the high-dollar polished, ergonomically designed deals, just something like this should work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FPPZA22/?tag=gbody-20 You can spend more if you like. It's just that you likely will use just a few of the tools.

2. DO NOT use the pry tools to pull the emblem out like a nail and using the dashboard as a leverage point. You'll likely dent (perhaps permanently) the dash if the emblem resists removal. What you want to do is surround the area with some low-tack painter's tape or equivalent to protect the surrounding area around the emblem from accidental damage. From there, you can use pieces of wide plastic or something like it to the area around the emblem to use behind the pry tool. The plastic spreads out the pressure to ensure you're not putting all the force on a small area of the dash which could dent it. I simply cut up an old fiberboard clipboard.

3. GENTLY start prying behind the emblem. Especially if you want to save it. Try not to scrape up the sides of the emblem. Be aware it sits in a pre-formed divot. The stems are located behind the "L"s in Oldsmobile so this is where you should concentrate on going SLOW. If you try and force it, you may end up tearing the vinyl or pulling it away from the foam. Be CAREFUL, especially on the bottom side where the dash "bead" goes right under the emblem area. Work the emblem from side to side using gentle pressure. If the stem(s) break, then your job got a lot easier. There's 40 ways to skin this cat, this is just how I've done it in the past.

4. Once the stems are free, lay the emblem aside and clean the area gently with soap and water, and apply any vinyl protectant if you wish at this point.

5. If the stems break off, try to find out where they are. If enough of it is sticking out to grab with pliers, you can do that but again, work it SLOWLY and gently to remove. Those arrowheads are a pain. I've had success in the past of simply pushing in what was left of the stems that were too short or broke at the arrowhead.

6. Make sure the replacement emblem is RIGHT-SIDE-UP! (Capital "O" to your left) This is important. Once you pop it in, it's in. I normally take a couple pieces of Kleenex and fold it up to cover the face of the emblem as I gently press it straight into the dash with my thumbs directly over the stems. Remove all the protective covering you did before.

7. Crack open a cold drink and sit back in the passenger side seat and admire your work.

Olds Dash Emblem Spare Dashboard.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes indeed. The interior dash chrome on these cars was nothing but cheap hot stamping and is hell to reproduce and is easily damaged with regular cleaning/wiping. You have to be very careful to keep it halfway decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor