Oldsmobile Diesel Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
My girlfriend just picked up an Olds Cutlass with the 5.7 Diesel, where is a good source for parts for these engines. Oh and before someone beats me to it, no she's not going to throw the diesel in the trash and put a gas engine in it she likes diesels

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
My girlfriend just picked up an Olds Cutlass with the 5.7 Diesel, where is a good source for parts for these engines. Oh and before someone beats me to it, no she's not going to throw the diesel in the trash and put a gas engine in it she likes diesels
There's one in my shed of unknown origin I was saving it to build a stroker

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Im not sure what we will need as of yet but this car has been sitting for something like 15 years I was told. Im familiar with GM 6.5 turbo diesels and this thing is pretty close but im sure the wax in the diesel fuel has clogged pretty much everything by now

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Not too many places to get parts for them, try rockauto.com they are pretty much a go to for oddball parts.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
dumpster-diving.jpg

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
JK Man. There are next to no aftermarket parts for the olds diesel aside from maybe what, valve covers? Everything else is just service parts. Keep it running for the most part. I'd assume most replaceable stuff still exists.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
rock auto and eBay. otherwise, a good diesel injector/pump repair shop. and if you put head gaskets in it, use arp head bolts or better yet, studs. the factory head bolts stretch when reused. check around on the web, there should still be a forum or two still out there for info.
joe

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Im thinking about going with ARP head studs pretty much right off the bat. Im going to see if I can get it running. I pulled it home yesterday ill post some pictures. We got it for $650 and its pretty clean with a beautiful interior. Only thing on the outside it needs really is the header panel emblem that says diesel. Im crossing my fingers the injection pump doesn't need replaced

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Pretty sure the injection is the same as the old non turbo 6.9 and 7.3 International diesel V8's Ford used. As said high strength ARP studs and either MLS or Copper head gaskets with O rings with the receiver grooves machined in. You can also get a custom cam ground, it could be flat tappet or roller, depending on the year, of course this is about the only Olds that the piston to valve clearance would need checked with 22.5 to 1. Unfortunately no decent timing set exists, due to the injection pump, no doubt it will need a new one. I say add headers, regular Olds V8 headers fit, dual exhaust and ram air as well. Also consider a 2004R trans and 3.42 and up gearing to help this doggy diesel in the acceleration department and keep rpm's low for 30+ mpg on the highway.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
There are guys out there that have learned how to address the flaws of these engines and make them run good and last long. You will likely have to work on the injector pump. Reportedly there was no water separator in the fuel system which led to problems. Dare to be different. I like it. This is a good read on where GM went wrong....

http://www.autosavant.com/2009/08/11/the-cars-that-killed-gm-the-oldsmobile-diesel/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor