Oldsmobile stock replacement oil pumps and drive shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The only real issue with the stock driveshafts is they tend to be on the soft side and have a tendency to round off and get stuck in the distributor gear. Though I've seen a few either break off or strip completely and leave you with no oil pressure.

Reactions: 1 user

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
The only real issue with the stock driveshafts is they tend to be on the soft side and have a tendency to round off and get stuck in the distributor gear. Though I've seen a few either break off or strip completely and leave you with no oil pressure.

Good to know. Definitely a part to replace during a rebuild. The engine runs HD30 in the summer due to oil consumption, so it masks a lot of issues.

Plan on getting the Melling shaft. Why it's called a "heavy duty", I'm not sure, but I would assume it's like a MOOG "Problem Solver" chassis part. Has engineering/revisions to stock components that were found to be a "problem" over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor