On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(anything less than 9.1)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Put a tow loop on it too. View attachment 236008
What are your thought on putting jounce bars back in? They are added weight, of course, but is they any real strength in them? Or are they going to affect handling?

I’m still up in the air about the sway bar. That’s another 15+ lbs I can eliminate.

And thanks - I’ll add a tow hook

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
What are your thought on putting jounce bars back in? They are added weight, of course, but is they any real strength in them? Or are they going to affect handling?

I’m still up in the air about the sway bar. That’s another 15+ lbs I can eliminate.

And thanks - I’ll add a tow hook
My opinion for a drag car is chassis stiffnesss is good. And suspension travel is good for a small tire car. So that means add the stiffener bars, remove the front sway bar.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My weight reduction efforts are complete. I still have to get an alignment and set the pinion angle. Before this last pic was taken I was adjusting the ARB preload, which I'm quite sure it's why my side to side weights are a bit wonky.

Before :

Before wt reduction.jpg

After :

After wt reduction.jpg

211 lbs .

Changes included the following :
iron 4.8 to aluminum 5.3
Blazer splindles to TRZ spindles
Blazer hubs and brakes to Wilwood hubs and brakes
Power steering to manual steering
Factory springs to Afco coilovers
Factory upper arms to TRZ uppers
Removed sway bar
Lower Intercooler mount from steel to aluminum (both fabricated)

All of the additional weight items were in the rear - I added a shock tower brace, a second prefilter and fuel lines for filter. Also, there is another 5-6 gallons of ethanol in the tank from the original weight.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it be under 3500lbs. And this should definitely help tracks times. I want to give a very special thanks to a member here Jdam who supplied me with the lion's share of the front end components.

Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Did you take a dump between before and after as well?
That’s not including my fat *ss. But I’m sure I managed a brown trout or two release between start and finish.
🤪🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor