On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I just came to say this thread is awesome and keep up the good work!
Thanks.

It’s picture time in the thread, but it will be a slow build through the winter - 4 months until April lol.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
If I had your blown stick setup I wouldn’t swap it. It’s about softening the hit and letting the boost do it past the launch. I’ll bet that if you would’ve hooked when your rear broke that you’d a been in the 1.4 60’ or better range. That’s HARD on parts - even good ones.
Yeah, getting something to soften the 1st gear let out is one of my goals this winter. The stick blower combo is fun but like you say it's mean on parts. It's easy to get disillusioned.

So if DW happens in 21 are you shooting to go? Did you have a reservation for 20 that rolls into 21? I haven't seen any updates whether they are just moving 20's plan into 21 or doing something new?

I hope it just rolls 20's tracks forward and if it makes it to Byron dragway I'll plan to drive down.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well you knew that a month ago. Once you hit 135 mph it doesn't matter what the ET is. You need a license, chassis cert and all the safety gear.
It seems that it's pretty loose depending on the track - Island looks over EVERYTHING, Cicero was concerned about by my jacket and valve stems, Lebanon Valley cared about the Helmut only, and I was waved through at Atco until that run. But I agree with you and I know the car needs to be safer - retained axles, brakes and seat belt for starters. Thanks for the comment :)

Yeah, getting something to soften the 1st gear let out is one of my goals this winter. The stick blower combo is fun but like you say it's mean on parts. It's easy to get disillusioned.

So if DW happens in 21 are you shooting to go? Did you have a reservation for 20 that rolls into 21? I haven't seen any updates whether they are just moving 20's plan into 21 or doing something new?

I hope it just rolls 20's tracks forward and if it makes it to Byron dragway I'll plan to drive down.
Back in the day of your car being new, nothing hit as hard as your car does now and was also considered 'streetable' with the HP it's making. Street driven and 140-150mph 1/4's was unheard of when I was a kid. Thank you boost and track prep lol!

Regarding DW, I was in the top 20 or 25 on the waitlist. They've never turned anyone away, but next year will be the test, if they run it. But if they do have it, then I'm going as long as it's on this side of the Mississippi (or not much west of it).

Reactions: 4 users

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
I had thought that I would or should start a build thread, but after some consideration I figured this section needed some liveliness and I'm not really building anything other than a car that will run 145+ in the 1/4 - at least I hope.

I'll be driving it on the street this weekend and trying t get the transmission tuning figured out.

Wish me luck.
Yea sweet dreams.... not breaking your mutts How u going to get there..
145 mph in 1/4 mile is in the mid low 9s.
share your recipe thoughts...

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
It seems that it's pretty loose depending on the track - Island looks over EVERYTHING, Cicero was concerned about by my jacket and valve stems, Lebanon Valley cared about the Helmut only, and I was waved through at Atco until that run. But I agree with you and I know the car needs to be safer - retained axles, brakes and seat belt for starters. Thanks for the comment :)

Back in the day of your car being new, nothing hit as hard as your car does now and was also considered 'streetable' with the HP it's making. Street driven and 140-150mph 1/4's was unheard of when I was a kid. Thank you boost and track prep lol!

Regarding DW, I was in the top 20 or 25 on the waitlist. They've never turned anyone away, but next year will be the test, if they run it. But if they do have it, then I'm going as long as it's on this side of the Mississippi (or not much west of it).
Yeah NHRA added the 135 stipulation to accommodate NHRA Super Street class. Used to only be 9.99. But when the 10.90 guys were running 10.90's at 140 mph on the throttle stop, speed became a criteria for a license. My friend was one of them. He had gone as far as going 8.60's off the throttle stop and 10.90's at 150 on it.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well, that is a pretty impressive result. Congrats!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Subscribed. Don't know how I missed this thread. Love the build. Looks fun! Was a fun read today.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This was the launch from the fastest the car has gone which was last weekend. You can see how long it took me to get the boost up after launching. It left the line somewhere between 4.5-.4.8 psi and that 's all I could get no matter of spark, AFR or anything.
11.21 Atco 2nd Run launch screenshot.png

So I decided to dig in today. Is the issue my hot side (world's worst lol), a leak on the intake or exhaust, or something else? As it turns out it was something else. I've been running a 4psi spring in my chinesium VS 44mm gate ad making 22 psi or so on spring. To explain that some, a 4lb spring should level out around 4lbs of boost give or take a couple of pounds. But because I was making 20+ I assumed it was the poor flow because of my crappy design. But as it turns out I've been making 20lbs and struggling to get to 5 lbs on the launch due to both the crappy design, too light of a WG spring, and my stubbornness with Mac valve plumbing. With some changes to WG spring (put in 16lbs of spring) and Mac valve plumbing, here are the results in a driveway (no full launch):
11.27 2nd test.png

It's not visible in the screenshot, but when I let go of the transbrake button I was at 8.9lbs and it went to 13+ in less than 7/10ths of a second. I let out a '****in' yikes' and had a smile from ear to ear - hehe.

My wastegate change was to use the Mac valve to bleed the air off from the bottom of the WG diaphragm rather than trying to add manifold pressure to the top of the diaphragm. The issue will be that it will make too much boost. The solution is one of two things - less spring or to use CO2 on the top of the gate with my current Mac valve. Both require some time playing (which is fun) and testing a couple of different systems that are cheap.

In the real world at the strip this means that I should be able to easily see a low 1.5 or better 60', and an easy 30lbs at the big end as long as I can keep from spinning during the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts.

BTW - ordered 35 spline spool setup from Quick's today (Black Friday saved me 10% :) :) ).

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor