On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(anything less than 9.1)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Those EBC yellow stuff pads really bite into the rotors and give impressive performance. They aren't for daily driving though. They don't last long.
I have heard the same about the longevity of them. I’m pulling for them to make it at least 4K miles.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have heard the same about the longevity of them. I’m pulling for them to make it at least 4K miles.
Oh, they'll do that. I had them on my truck for a little while. I think they did 10k-12k miles. They're great for a performance oriented hobby car, if you don't mind the extra brake dust.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
2 days of rain have made the blacktop black - hopefully it stays this way until ..........forever (wishful thinking.)

Took the car out for a minor shakedown and to burn in the EBC front pads. I wanted to lean on it hard, but.........I'm old, cautious, nervous..........ok, maybe old, but not the other two ;)

The EBC yellow front pads after getting properly broken in - yup, the car now stops with manual brakes comfortably from 100+. Thanks Dave for the manual conversion!!

I upgraded the Holley software to V2 to be ready for the IO box software (yes I bought one of the 554-165 boxes), and also to have Holley data for the Bosch 210's. The software upgrade went OK (thanks Duke for some guidance), but the injector data swap basically put me at square one with the tune in terms of keeping the rods in the block and straight. So the idea of leaning on it hard went away. I dropped out some timing and worked at getting the fuel table safe. I succeeded in safe, but not anywhere close to maximum the amount of 'street go'.

I put it to 20 psi a couple of times with the timing in the tank and the AFR fat enough that could see a cloud of unburnt fuel smoke behind me. I saved the datalogs from the two hits and I'm working on them from there. I measured success in driving it home with all rods, bearings and block in tact. After approx 25 miles of driving it on the highway the pump gas driving tune is pretty clean - thank you Holley!! It's insane how fast this system will learn. For a naturally aspirated build this is crazy safe and easy. The atmosphere and a half of pressure is the only thing making it a little tricky, but not too tricky.

I put on the summer tires, MT ET street 255/50R15's and I experienced a minor amount of vibration on one 10-15psi blast. I'm attributing it to never changing the pinion angle after dropping the rear with spring upgrade that I did over the winter that dropped the rear about 1 1/2". The pinion angle presently is about 4 degrees negative (down) from the transmission. 3-5 degrees is what all of the experts recommend, but I've always set everything in the -1 to 0 zero range and never had an issue. The 5409 springs are shorter but a faster spring rate (stiffer). I'm not sure which of those is contributing and I'm sure the fine shock package I have (rusty blue no namer's) isn't contributing :-0 (sarcasm) . I'm going to reset the pinion angle to -1 to 0 zero and see if it has any effect and go from there. I have access to a good set of Bilsteins if the pinion angle change doesn't resolve it.

Hoping for the weather to hold, swap it to straight E85 (E70) and play with the boost control to see what I can break this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The weather sucked this past weekend and cancelled the test-n-tune. Worked out OK because I had some issues.

I swapped it over to E85 tonight and made a run of 30 miles round trip to get some fresh fuel. Driving it was gooooooood!

It appears that I'm waiting a couple of weekends to get it to the track unless I drive a long ways, which I don't want to do presently.

I know I have to come up with a better program to get the last 15 gallons out of the barrel lol

IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3671.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
The weather sucked this past weekend and cancelled the test-n-tune. Worked out OK because I had some issues.

I swapped it over to E85 tonight and made a run of 30 miles round trip to get some fresh fuel. Driving it was gooooooood!

It appears that I'm waiting a couple of weekends to get it to the track unless I drive a long ways, which I don't want to do presently.

I know I have to come up with a better program to get the last 15 gallons out of the barrel lol

View attachment 173490 View attachment 173489
That doesn't look questionable At all....

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor