On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
... because Canada, I \ we have been using hockey pucks since the cars were near new and already rotting out.

Great job nailhead !! That 84 looks pretty clean !

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow that's awesome!

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I still have to get a converter and figure out the cheapest possible rear end setup. I believe the rear will be an Exploder 8.8 that we cut down, but the converter might put me over 7K because I haven't found a sub $700 converter option for a 4L80 that will take 700whp (800 crank HP).
You are probably already aware.....but the southside machine kit does not require cutting the long side of the explorer rear.

For a budget converter, Ryan Jans sells a 4l80e converter good to 650whp....might be able to make that work with your 700whp goal....its $460ish shipped and can be ordered for a 3 bolt flexplate.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You are probably already aware.....but the southside machine kit does not require cutting the long side of the explorer rear.

For a budget converter, Ryan Jans sells a 4l80e converter good to 650whp....might be able to make that work with your 700whp goal....its $460ish shipped and can be ordered for a 3 bolt flexplate.

How do I contact Ryan Jans? I am aware of the SSM kit, but I'm thinking I can go cheaper. I probably will end up with their kit. We'll see. Regarding the converter, I bought a fresh reman from Advance Auto to get it running and transmission tuned. It stalls to almost 1700 lol. 650 whp will get me where I need to be time wise though. I will definitely consider that converter - that's cheap.

so 2wd s10 axles are the same length??? 28 spline?
Yes, sort of. They are approx 3/8" longer so I made a spacer from 5/16" steel that I put between the backing plate and the axle flange. I did it by hand with a hole saw and grinder. But I now have a guy that has a CNC track cutter. I'm sure he could make them in any thickness and in moments rather than the day it took me to make them the hard way. I kept them at 5/16" so I could still get a brake line fitting into the wheel cylinder. And yes, they are 28 spline. And the S10 axles are much more of an axle than the stock GN axles from an 8.5.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

You talked me into it - I ordered a kit from SSM just a bit ago. If you couldn't tell, I'm not hard to talk into something lol. As in if you asked me to help you empty your fridge of some excess beer, then I probably would stop over and help you out - you'd be able to talk me into it I think.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
You talked me into it - I ordered a kit from SSM just a bit ago. If you couldn't tell, I'm not hard to talk into something lol. As in if you asked me to help you empty your fridge of some excess beer, then I probably would stop over and help you out - you'd be able to talk me into it I think.
Let us know how it turns out.....I plan on buying the kit this summer.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Headed to the speed parts store earlier today and picked up this gem

IMG_2492.JPG

Also received my shipping notification from Southside Machine for the 8.8 kit - two wins in the same day :) :)

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor