On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just noticed how much the E dries up my skin lol. It's worse than gas or concrete.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Only took 4 days to get two hoses made (smh), and then was unable to get -10 stainless braided PTFE. So now I have a -12 supply and -6 return. I have a feeling that I shouldn’t be able to run out of fuel with a -12 lol.

Here’s a couple of pics including my silly pump mount and homemade 4L80 crossmember. I have almost $30 in that crossmember , but I did drop an additional $30 on the driveshaft loop.

Attachments

• 07C217AC-43B1-45A8-9C1E-423DFB170528.jpeg
    07C217AC-43B1-45A8-9C1E-423DFB170528.jpeg
    972.3 KB · Views: 129
  • F5F09270-5464-4F24-ADC2-DAE1A145A5AE.jpeg
    F5F09270-5464-4F24-ADC2-DAE1A145A5AE.jpeg
    939.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 5A258D40-085E-4B44-8C84-AA4E228C45F3.jpeg
    5A258D40-085E-4B44-8C84-AA4E228C45F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • A3647DC8-D9FB-4863-ABAD-1FABD68690C4.jpeg
    A3647DC8-D9FB-4863-ABAD-1FABD68690C4.jpeg
    865.2 KB · Views: 110
  • AE0FF289-2207-41F9-A55C-0A14A36C857E.jpeg
    AE0FF289-2207-41F9-A55C-0A14A36C857E.jpeg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 7DFAACAF-CDA3-4D64-AA2A-6A9BF01376EE.jpeg
    7DFAACAF-CDA3-4D64-AA2A-6A9BF01376EE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • 6C3892A3-6277-44E9-A2AD-41EE186D2F09.jpeg
    6C3892A3-6277-44E9-A2AD-41EE186D2F09.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2BDD0DF2-785C-46F7-9E58-48F5F8275D27.jpeg
    2BDD0DF2-785C-46F7-9E58-48F5F8275D27.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Finally made it to the track today. Results were none to spectacular, best time was a 10.3 and fastest mph was 134, but holy bejesus, I wheel hopped or spun on every hit ad was pedaling before the 60' 3 times. I tied my best 60' time twice of 1.62 spinning - like wtf. Some of the issue was me, 1st 3 hits had 20 psi in the drag radials - WAAAAY too much, I've had best times with 15-16psi, and the track prep was almost non-existent. I was reminded why Island Dragway is tough - brakes are required lol - the run down is the shortest I've ever seen - the place should run 1/8 or 1000ft only because it's so short (done ranting).

I drove it through the stripe twice -- once at 140 - and the EBC Yellow Stuff stopped me in a hurry - thank God - otherwise I would've needed a winch to get the car on the trailer.

The upsides - 25psi with ultra safe tune and no issues, the trans worked properly, the 'sloppy transbrake' allowed me to build whatever I wanted on the line without any crazy procedure (15psi), and I practiced my sideways driving several times at 80 mph.

Bottom line - I need shocks and find a prepped track for this 3500lb beetch. And I felt relieved that I was able to match my best 60' while spinning. If I can get this thing to hook, then mid 9's or sub 9.5 has real potential.

81cutlass

I'm going to pull the diff cover this week and see if the wheel hop hurt. I ran it twice more after a crazy vibrating mess on run two and it stuck together. I'm pulling for the 35 spline axles and spool could take it. After I dropped the tire pressure 3 psi the tire shake transformed into wheel spin.

Northernregal

10 degrees at 20+ psi. I think have some room to grow eh lol.

And.......a day at the track was invigorating!!!!! **** Covid and the horse it rode in on.

Reactions: 8 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Finally made it to the track today. Results were none to spectacular, best time was a 10.3 and fastest mph was 134, but holy bejesus, I wheel hopped or spun on every hit ad was pedaling before the 60' 3 times. I tied my best 60' time twice of 1.62 spinning - like wtf. Some of the issue was me, 1st 3 hits had 20 psi in the drag radials - WAAAAY too much, I've had best times with 15-16psi, and the track prep was almost non-existent. I was reminded why Island Dragway is tough - brakes are required lol - the run down is the shortest I've ever seen - the place should run 1/8 or 1000ft only because it's so short (done ranting).

I drove it through the stripe twice -- once at 140 - and the EBC Yellow Stuff stopped me in a hurry - thank God - otherwise I would've needed a winch to get the car on the trailer.

The upsides - 25psi with ultra safe tune and no issues, the trans worked properly, the 'sloppy transbrake' allowed me to build whatever I wanted on the line without any crazy procedure (15psi), and I practiced my sideways driving several times at 80 mph.

Bottom line - I need shocks and find a prepped track for this 3500lb beetch. And I felt relieved that I was able to match my best 60' while spinning. If I can get this thing to hook, then mid 9's or sub 9.5 has real potential.

81cutlass

I'm going to pull the diff cover this week and see if the wheel hop hurt. I ran it twice more after a crazy vibrating mess on run two and it stuck together. I'm pulling for the 35 spline axles and spool could take it. After I dropped the tire pressure 3 psi the tire shake transformed into wheel spin.

Northernregal

And.......a day at the track was invigorating!!!!! **** Covid and the horse it rode in on.
Yeah I never ran their myself with any of my cars based on my dads experiences in the mid 80’s. It was ok when he was going high tens, but when he was out there going 10.0’s at 136 on 4 wheel drum brakes he knew he better get on the brakes fast and not screw around. I had no desire to take my car there going mid 9’s and faster at 3200 lbs.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

81cutlass

Northernregal

Interesting you turned wheel hop into spin with lower pressure. I was told up and down by the local guy that runs drag week in the mid/high 9 second NA red Chevy 2 that you start high on pressure and work down until you stop spinning. Once you start chattering you went too much. He just placed 2nd on the summit drag week last week with like a 9.73 average so I trust him on that.

I wonder if the wheel hop is not tire pressure and something else related.

Have you ever checked your instant center? Curious where that is with the 8.8 truss. Does yours have adjustable lower position?

I bet trick chassis still has Vikings in stock.

I'm begging for a run at the track this month! I'm jealous...

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory

81cutlass

Northernregal

Poquito Caliente, I suspect you won't need to add much with a couple more psi and traction. How was IAT at the end of the run?

Did you try ramping in a couple degrees on launch to get some traction back?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Interesting you turned wheel hop into spin with lower pressure. I was told up and down by the local guy that runs drag week in the mid/high 9 second NA red Chevy 2 that you start high on pressure and work down until you stop spinning. Once you start chattering you went too much. He just placed 2nd on the summit drag week last week with like a 9.73 average so I trust him on that.

I wonder if the wheel hop is not tire pressure and something else related.

Have you ever checked your instant center? Curious where that is with the 8.8 truss. Does yours have adjustable lower position?

I bet trick chassis still has Vikings in stock.

I'm begging for a run at the track this month! I'm jealous...

I've never had a set of radials, be it Mickey or Nitto, work at more than 21 psi. Some it is in the burnout - good burnout means more pressure, but a squeaky, no smoke burnout means air pressure is lower. So when I'm saying that I need less air pressure, then I'll wager a guess that a proper smokey burnout increases it. Either way, the track wasn't sticky enough. The last I went out last fall the track was prepped. Probably a combination of too much air and not sticky track.

I'm calling Trick Chassis this morning lol. Regarding the instant center, not sure. I know how it worked previously. And yes I have some adjustment on the all 4 arms, but .....it's a little of pain at the moment to adjust. I need to modify one mount and the lowers to make them any shorter - I blame the guy that welded in the a-arm mounts (me).

Poquito Caliente, I suspect you won't need to add much with a couple more psi and traction. How was IAT at the end of the run?

Did you try ramping in a couple degrees on launch to get some traction back?
I tried varying the timing out of the hit and the rate that it's added back in. I should've done a couple of things differently earlier on in the day. But ya know, 'only change one thing at a time' mentality . Probably working around too many issues to once. Last year I viewed how long it took to build peak boost as holding me back. Now with the CO2 allowing me to build more boost on the initial launch, it builds boost faster on spring alone. ATM I'm on a double edged sword - boost build faster, but I couldn't get my tires and the track to hold it.

I need shocks, and should've bought them previously - kind of a bull headed move on my part. Live and learn. Then I'll have NO EXCUSE LOL.

I need to spend more time looking at the logs - hopefully have shocks by the weekend. Probably wishful thinkin on the shocks. IAT's weren't crazy IIRC, but I'll dig into them as well.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I've never had a set of radials, be it Mickey or Nitto, work at more than 21 psi. Some it is in the burnout - good burnout means more pressure, but a squeaky, no smoke burnout means air pressure is lower. So when I'm saying that I need less air pressure, then I'll wager a guess that a proper smokey burnout increases it. Either way, the track wasn't sticky enough. The last I went out last fall the track was prepped. Probably a combination of too much air and not sticky track.

I'm calling Trick Chassis this morning lol. Regarding the instant center, not sure. I know how it worked previously. And yes I have some adjustment on the all 4 arms, but .....it's a little of pain at the moment to adjust. I need to modify one mount and the lowers to make them any shorter - I blame the guy that welded in the a-arm mounts (me).

I tried varying the timing out of the hit and the rate that it's added back in. I should've done a couple of things differently earlier on in the day. But ya know, 'only change one thing at a time' mentality . Probably working around too many issues to once. Last year I viewed how long it took to build peak boost as holding me back. Now with the CO2 allowing me to build more boost on the initial launch, it builds boost faster on spring alone. ATM I'm on a double edged sword - boost build faster, but I couldn't get my tires and the track to hold it.

I need shocks, and should've bought them previously - kind of a bull headed move on my part. Live and learn. Then I'll have NO EXCUSE LOL.

I need to spend more time looking at the logs - hopefully have shocks by the weekend. Probably wishful thinkin on the shocks. IAT's weren't crazy IIRC, but I'll dig into them as well.
Build all the boost and ramp timing to suit conditions. Won't blow flames if you don't do it that way. Lol

I'd have a peek at that tune and log if your not grudge racing. Sounds like a ripper.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor