On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So, onto the IAT's battle with Holley.

I discovered this past weekend that I had inadvertently changed my meth setup from Duty Cycle (DC) to milliseconds (msec) for the output. What des that mean? I wasn't 100% on that so I tested it tonight. Appreciate my graduated cylinder of a 16oz Gatorade bottle - very precise lol. The 1st pic is 30 seconds of spray at 50 msec - wow not much in 30 seconds, eh?

50 msec for 30 seconds.jpg

Here is 30 seconds of 50% DC

50% DC for 30 seconds.jpg

Uhhhh, I'm a dumb *ss lol.

So I'm letting go of the sloppy transbrake at 6 psi and I'm injecting meth at 10 psi, which takes a 1/2 a second or so to achieve, and I'm on it for 10 seconds before I lift at the 1320'.

A Snow system operates in a completely different manner than the Holley. The Snow Performance system will pulse width modulate (PWM) at a slower rate , but will provide a consistent stream of meth. Meaning that if I pick 50% DC with the Snow Performance controller, then it will be on 50% of the time in even intervals. The Holley, on the other hand, doesn't work like that AT ALL. 50 msec is 50 msec/second which is crazy low as identified in my 1st picture. And at 50% DC it turns on for a continuous 1/2 second of every second. It's a crazy pulsing deal - definitely not smooth in the least. I've tested the Snow Performance controller and it's unbelievably smooth with an extremely consistent fine spray - Holley - not so much lol.

The point to this, now I know why my IAT's aren't being impacted very much by the meth system. Hold on though, tomorrow I'll have some logs with DC rather than msec lol.

PWM 2d table setup.png

I'm pointing this out to those at running a Holley, whether it be a Sniper, Terminator, HP or Dominator this is how Holley uses PWM. FWIW, I've run close to a 55 gallon barrel of meth through my son's motor with a Mega Squirt and it does not work like this.

Notice the field I circled in orange. That's where I can change from msec to PW. Ignore the table please, it's the table I made for testing.

Anyway - if you're interested in a video, then let me know and I can make one. But man, I'm not a video guy. If you're not interested then fine. But all of the aftermarket systems allow for PWM fuel pumps, boost controllers, alternators, nitrous control, etc. this is something to pay attention to because it's very different than what I've known from past experience.

This is peculiar, but very manageable if you know how it works. If I would've had this deal on pump gas, then I would've scattered this motor several times over. I've been keeping Monte Alban on the absolutely most stupid safe tune imaginable - on e85 10.8 AFR and 10 degrees of timing. I'm sure I'm leaving 150-200hp on the table with that tune, but..........I'm learning as I go - and sheetz like this is the reason why.

I'm sure I'm going to get to my goal once I'm in control of everything. I'm just not there yet,, but will be son enough I hope :)

Reactions: 4 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
LOL everything you are going thru is exactly why my lazy *ss went with a non-intercooled carbureted blower car on e-85. No intercooling, no building boost... just press the throttle lol. I did get fancy and high tech and installed a transbrake though.

E85 is amazing. I had a stock bottom end 400SBC making about 590whp for over a year and I beat the snot out of it. One time, my original gas tank started flaking inside and blocked my fuel pump pickup line. I was at 8psi @ 14.5 AFR for like 3 seconds 3 or 4 times... never broke a thing. Motor is still being driven NA in my buddys car. E85 will make you look like a tuning hero.

But for real, get your AFRs above 11, even if just 11.2. If you know what that motor likes NA I wouldnt pull anything for the first 5psi and then 1deg per 1psi after that... and even that you might be able to slowly sneak up on. Either way I think if you add 4-5 degrees and get your AFRs leaner, itll run 9s on the next clean pass. You are a turbo car, so everything wrong with the tune is amplified. Bad tune, less power, less exhaust pressure for boost...etc. My car at 11-12psi on the engine dyno made 45-50hp with 2 degrees of timing. I went from pulling 10 degrees at 11.5psi to 8 degrees at 11.5psi. If it gained almost 25hp for 1 degree, it wouldn have definitely liked even more.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Change your frequency to 16 or 24. It will engage current to the pump for 50% (Duty Cycle) of the 16hz (frequency per second). If its not smooth add frequency.
I don't believe the Terminator will allow me to add frequency. Am I overlooking something,

I do see there is a frequency drop down, am I missing something? Maybe some more testing in order. Have to move fast though - Friday night is a coming :) :)

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Change your frequency to 16 or 24. It will engage current to the pump for 50% (Duty Cycle) of the 16hz (frequency per second). If its not smooth add frequency.
Okay, the Canuckistan conspiracy has made me look simple minded lol.

Changed the frequency to 16 HZ and this is 22 seconds at 50%. Obviously way more than previously recorded, but the delivery is much smoother and consistent. I believe this 'problem solved'.

50% DC at 16 Hz 22 seconds..jpg

Thanks Duke and Wingnutz!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Get ready - I'm going to eat the worm if this keeps up!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Make sure to add timing now that you got the meth injection figured out or it will probably slow down.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m going to be into some street hits and dialing in the meth. I’m very fortunate to have a bunch of open, straight highway near me where I can make late night 6-9 second hits. Hopefully I can get the iat’s where I want, put the AFR to 11.2, then see what it likes for timing.

Was planning to get out this weekend, but momma nature is looking to not be cooperative.

So, back on with the ‘street’ tires’ lol.

image.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
I’m going to be into some street hits and dialing in the meth. I’m very fortunate to have a bunch of open, straight highway near me where I can make late night 6-9 second hits. Hopefully I can get the iat’s where I want, put the AFR to 11.2, then see what it likes for timing.

Was planning to get out this weekend, but momma nature is looking to not be cooperative.

So, back on with the ‘street’ tires’ lol.

View attachment 178962
You got a draggy?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor