On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The entire purpose of the cage is to not get thrown out for running a nine. S&W is almost local to me, so I could pick it up to save the shipping. It worked out pretty well other than the rear bars that DO NOT fit as designed unless you lose the rear seat, which I did not. I still have to put in the dash bar and both side bars. But they are waiting until the I'm sure that the dash will never have come out in one piece again. I still have to clean up all of the wiring as well.

Have you given any thought to putting the cage behind the dash - it will let you pull the dash and give you more foot room for getting in. Keeping close to the A pillar will keep your view of the tree unobstructed.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Have you given any thought to putting the cage behind the dash - it will let you pull the dash and give you more foot room for getting in. Keeping close to the A pillar will keep your view of the tree unobstructed.

I did consider it. The issue with getting in and out is one, I'm not a kid anymore lol. But, I can get in and out, out easier than in, which I think will be more important if things go poorly. Also, I'm not opposed to changing it later if needed. I know it's not 'G-body purist thoughts', but I'm not in love with the factory dash and dash panel. But it will work for the time being - the voltmeter and fuel gauge work. I believe at some point I'll buy a Holley dash that has a bunch more inputs and outputs also. Your comment about seeing the tree is something that I did not consider at all...... ;( We'll see if it turns problematic, hopefully not and thanks for the insight.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I started tacking it together as per the instructions. It wasn't as obvious as one would think (perhaps I'm a little dense at times as well.) There's no mention of the angle of the side supports, but once I figured out that it's 50 degrees, it made things go simpler after I dusted off the trig and geometry lessons from decades ago - truly lol.

I test fit the side supports on the housing before tacking them. I thought the cross bar would be something other than 1/2"x3" flat stock, at least that's what the pics on their website look like. As long as it works and doesn't twist off when I put the wood put to it, then I really don't care. I am a 'function over form' type of guy rather than the converse.

I'd throw up pics of the housing, but yikes, does it look bad. I'm welding the tubes tomorrow and I'll slap a coat of paint on it, then show it :p
IMG_2526.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
IMG_2527.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I did consider it. The issue with getting in and out is one, I'm not a kid anymore lol. But, I can get in and out, out easier than in, which I think will be more important if things go poorly. Also, I'm not opposed to changing it later if needed. I know it's not 'G-body purist thoughts', but I'm not in love with the factory dash and dash panel. But it will work for the time being - the voltmeter and fuel gauge work. I believe at some point I'll buy a Holley dash that has a bunch more inputs and outputs also. Your comment about seeing the tree is something that I did not consider at all...... ;( We'll see if it turns problematic, hopefully not and thanks for the insight.

Most people install the cages in their kit form and if you get a little creative it will fit your purposes a lot better
A few ideas

83 regal 019.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_5821.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yep, fox’s use a 1310 on a small pattern flange (2.5 inch by 2.5 inch bolt circle).
I think the Explorers should use the large pattern flange, 3x3 BC, and a 1330 series u-joint, IIRC.

It measures for a 1330. My shaft is 1350, so a combo joint is required, which is no big ordeal to me.

• Informative

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Lilbowtie - do you have a picture of the main hoop attachment?

I admit that mine is a little crude on the install due to I have never installed one before and neither had any of my friends that work where the car has been domiciled. We lived and learned with full intention that it might get some modifications at some point.

Also keep in mind that there is not alot about this car, at the moment, that is aesthetically pleasing :giggle:. I have to continually remind myself the current goal with the car so as to not get carried away with the aesthetics.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You must be bending your own tubing? That is nice!

If I can make this car 'work' they way I want, then I would like to make my next project done 'right' as in what your G looks like and the pickup photos above. But I'll have to find the right car (Cutlass Cruiser) someday.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Mocked up. Ready to get it put in - spray bombed it after welding tubes up tonite 😛

Attachments

• 9A9C8CDA-1467-44DA-AB8C-5290B45F7F3B.jpeg
    9A9C8CDA-1467-44DA-AB8C-5290B45F7F3B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 228
Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor