On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
This may help...

IMG957194.1.jpg IMG957194.jpg IMG957195.jpg IMG957197.jpg IMG957194.1.jpg IMG957194.jpg IMG957195.jpg IMG957197.jpg photo0.jpg 20200504_164709.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
How critical is welding the cross brace to the top of the of the diff housing?

Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Weld the world brother, lol! 309-L on the tubes to center section and the top plate to center section. None of it is necessary. But you are there and already welding so...
To answer some of the other questions...
What is the rake or angle of the top plate? That is answered in steps 1, 2 and followed up on #6.
  • ADJUST NEW UPPER ARMS ABOUT 1” SHORTER THAN STOCK
  • BOLT THEM ON THE CAR WITH THE NEW TABS ON THE REAR.
  • ADJUST THE TRUSS TO CENTER THE UPPER MOUNTS AND TACK WELD. (do not adjust the arms to meet the plate)
How do i know the angle of the side plates (no geometry or trigonometry needed)? That is answered in step 3. see photo
  • USING THE GUSSET PLATE AS A GUIDE, TACK WELD THE MAIN TRUSS PLATE TO THE 2 HEAVY WALL PLATES WITH THE TUBE NOTCH TO THE BOTTOM.
How low does the top plate need to be?
As low as possible. See Instant center photos.

Also we sometimes forget you guys don't see an endless supply of G Bodies. Working on these is second nature for us. We have a bit of a generation gap for the whole internet thing (old guys). We are great on the phone though.

USING THE GUSSET PLATE AS A GUIDE.jpeg INSTANT CENTER.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Weld the world brother, lol! 309-L on the tubes to center section and the top plate to center section. None of it is necessary. But you are there and already welding so...
To answer some of the other questions...
What is the rake or angle of the top plate? That is answered in steps 1, 2 and followed up on #6.
  • ADJUST NEW UPPER ARMS ABOUT 1” SHORTER THAN STOCK
  • BOLT THEM ON THE CAR WITH THE NEW TABS ON THE REAR.
  • ADJUST THE TRUSS TO CENTER THE UPPER MOUNTS AND TACK WELD. (do not adjust the arms to meet the plate)
How do i know the angle of the side plates (no geometry or trigonometry needed)? That is answered in step 3. see photo
  • USING THE GUSSET PLATE AS A GUIDE, TACK WELD THE MAIN TRUSS PLATE TO THE 2 HEAVY WALL PLATES WITH THE TUBE NOTCH TO THE BOTTOM.

Also we sometimes forget you guys don't see an endless supply of G Bodies. Working on these is second nature for us. We have a bit of a generation gap for the whole internet thing (old guys). We are great on the phone though.

View attachment 147380 View attachment 147382

I misunderstood the directions for what I put in blue bold and underlined. The photo helps with the description.

I was thinking of bracing the truss to a bracket that I weld onto the truss and I can bolt to the holes next to the pinion. But time will tell. FWIW, I think I'm a couple of months away from making any type real go.

You're an old guy eh? Better you than me lol :):) My car was new when I was a senior in high school.

I hope to be a couple of weeks from getting the 8.8 installed. But once in I'll be trying to figure out where to put an anti-roll bar at. More welding brother :)

Reactions: 4 users

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
See the photo with the red Malibu. Used a back brace through the frame notch for a DIY roll bar. photo0.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

350-G

Apprentice
May 2, 2015
GA
I misunderstood the directions for what I put in blue bold and underlined. The photo helps with the description.

I was thinking of bracing the truss to a bracket that I weld onto the truss and I can bolt to the holes next to the pinion. But time will tell. FWIW, I think I'm a couple of months away from making any type real go.

You're an old guy eh? Better you than me lol :):) My car was new when I was a senior in high school.

I hope to be a couple of weeks from getting the 8.8 installed. But once in I'll be trying to figure out where to put an anti-roll bar at. More welding brother :)
Maybe this will help. Or at least give you some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017

You will have 52" of weld where the truss meets the tubes. You will have another 20-1/2" of weld on the tubes to the center section if you go that route (309-L). FWIW, We have never spun a tube with this setup, even with 40" mudders and LOTS of gearing.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I got to do some driving today and it seems to be working well, other than the handling OUCH it sucks but I guess since this is all about going in a straight line - I'll tackle the turning later.

Looking at shocks and/or anti-roll bar. What is an effective shock? If I install an anti-roll bar, then do shocks really mater, or matter as much? As always I'm trying to get the best bang out of my buck. Competition engineering has an anti-rollbar kit for a little less than $400, but I can get a set of Strange single adjustable rear shocks for about the same. I have no experience with either, but what would be the most effective?

And FWIW, I believe I'm within a couple of weeks of getting this to a track and seeing what it'll do - I should have the rear going by then, a set of tires and wheels that my son has kicking around (somewhere), and the tune is getting better everytime out. The transmission, after several attempts, is working. Feeling my way through the Holley Terminator software, it's definitely not as friendly as an MS, but perhaps its the years of practice/experience with the Megasquirt platform that makes me more comfortable with it - I'll get the Holley down before long ;)

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor