On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
From what I hear, good double adjustables are worth their weight in gold on the track. Look at it this way: springs hold it up, bars control twist, and the shocks control everything.

Reactions: 2 users

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I got to do some driving today and it seems to be working well, other than the handling OUCH it sucks but I guess since this is all about going in a straight line - I'll tackle the turning later.

Looking at shocks and/or anti-roll bar. What is an effective shock? If I install an anti-roll bar, then do shocks really mater, or matter as much? As always I'm trying to get the best bang out of my buck. Competition engineering has an anti-rollbar kit for a little less than $400, but I can get a set of Strange single adjustable rear shocks for about the same. I have no experience with either, but what would be the most effective?

And FWIW, I believe I'm within a couple of weeks of getting this to a track and seeing what it'll do - I should have the rear going by then, a set of tires and wheels that my son has kicking around (somewhere), and the tune is getting better everytime out. The transmission, after several attempts, is working. Feeling my way through the Holley Terminator software, it's definitely not as friendly as an MS, but perhaps its the years of practice/experience with the Megasquirt platform that makes me more comfortable with it - I'll get the Holley down before long ;)

If it is going to be a track car do a 50/50 rear shock. If it will see lots of street any monotube will be fine. You can build your own anti roll bar. See the red car pic from earlier.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
From what I hear, good double adjustables are worth their weight in gold on the track. Look at it this way: springs hold it up, bars control twist, and the shocks control everything.
I was looking at Strange single or double adjustables -more do re mi than I want to spend, but... if they work, then that's not too much money imo.

If it is going to be a track car do a 50/50 rear shock. If it will see lots of street any monotube will be fine. You can build your own anti roll bar. See the red car pic from earlier.

What's a 50/50 shock? Funny you mentioned building my own bar, that was a campfire discussion last night. Are you using a normal pillow block bearing? And what are you using for tube? I was thinking that a 1" piece of solid something (steel) would work, but in the conversation last night we figured that would not be enough. Probably need something better to keep from twisting it. I'll admit up front that I'm not a metallurgist of any type, so be easy on me with things like 'you'll need 6032 double tempered, heat treated, fracked, polished, buffed, reverse wound' terms lol.

I have some 20K lb axle tie rod tubes that are hollow that I thought would get it done, but they are approx 1.25-1.3875" in diameter.

Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I was looking at Strange single or double adjustables -more do re mi than I want to spend, but... if they work, then that's not too much money imo.

What's a 50/50 shock? Funny you mentioned building my own bar, that was a campfire discussion last night. Are you using a normal pillow block bearing? And what are you using for tube? I was thinking that a 1" piece of solid something (steel) would work, but in the conversation last night we figured that would not be enough. Probably need something better to keep from twisting it. I'll admit up front that I'm not a metallurgist of any type, so be easy on me with things like 'you'll need 6032 double tempered, heat treated, fracked, polished, buffed, reverse wound' terms lol.

I have some 20K lb axle tie rod tubes that are hollow that I thought would get it done, but they are approx 1.25-1.3875" in diameter.

This looks fun...
50/50 shock... equal compression on rebound valving. Typical rear drag shock.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Putting the 8.8 in over this coming weekend, or sooner. Been doing local driving to clean out the bugs. I made a hit pulling a half mile hill and discovered the VS Racing (Chinesium) 12lb wastegate spring cracked open at 21 psi :):). Thanks to a friend of mine (Tuner Tom) we made the spark and fuel tables into that area and stupid safe, and E85. Holy f'ng moly - hold on. Blew thru the stock converter on the 2nd -> 3rd shift. I was smiling ALOT.

My son put the cleaning this old thing and put some tire shine on the wheels as well. Hopefully before drag Week hits I can convince him to throw a 50mph paint job on it. Keep in mind when looking at this pic that this has been in a dirt driveway for almost 15 years.

IMG_2571.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Putting the 8.8 in over this coming weekend, or sooner. Been doing local driving to clean out the bugs. I made a hit pulling a half mile hill and discovered the VS Racing (Chinesium) 12lb wastegate spring cracked open at 21 psi :):). Thanks to a friend of mine (Tuner Tom) we made the spark and fuel tables into that area and stupid safe, and E85. Holy f'ng moly - hold on. Blew thru the stock converter on the 2nd -> 3rd shift. I was smiling ALOT.

My son put the cleaning this old thing and put some tire shine on the wheels as well. Hopefully before drag Week hits I can convince him to throw a 50mph paint job on it. Keep in mind when looking at this pic that this has been in a dirt driveway for almost 15 years.

View attachment 148663

Very cool. I know I still owe you some pics.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For the love of God, please lose the stickers on the quarter window.

I'm lmao. Someone else under the influence put them there as a joke. I told them that if we black out the window with stickers overlapping each other then maybe. But they would need to be 2-4 layers deep :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Very cool. I know I still owe you some pics.

Sum picz.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor