On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Made it to the track today. Unfortunately only made two runs due to a bunch of classes ran as well. Was planning on driving to the 'local' track a little north of Syracuse that was scheduled for an all day test-n-tune only, but they decided to call a rainout yesterday at 4:30 despite no rain in the forecast (???). A friend told me to borrow his trailer and head to Albany, so I did. Prior to that though, yesterday, me and a friend spent hours of transmission abuse trying to build boost at launch - 14 different tunes and maybe picked up a lb - 4.5-5.5 was the best. We determined a winter project would be to change out the world's worst hot side to something more conventional lol. Maybe it will result in less than 22psi when the wastegate is wide open at 5 psi lol. Anyway, onto today.

Not realizing that I would only get two passes early on this morning, I pretty much made a wasted pass as the 1st one. Turned up the launch timing to where I assumed it wouldn't work, and I thought I'd try to pedal if needed. That was fubar - spun through the 60', tried to dump the throttle and get back in it and was sideways at the 330' - in other words, total waste of a run. So I reworked the launch to something I thought would be much more reasonable. Also added a bunch of timing through the pull (C16) - 8 degrees more than the previous outing at 20 psi. Tried to launch at 14, but wound up being 13 due to minor snafu of computer work on my part. It worked waaaay better. Was a very minor hesitation on initial release of the brake and I was driving at the 60' to keep it in the lane, but NOT spinning!

IMG_3137.JPG

I knew it was much better than the previous runs from a month ago before I saw the slip. This was by far the best I've done beating the previous 10.7 and 131.

Returned back to the pit and began reviewing the data. I had wanted to change the target AFR's to something more aggressive, but forgot, so was targeting 10.8, my previous super safe number. But I discovered that I lost my nerve after the 330 and wiggled the throttle down to 70% and that took the Holley out of closed loop and fattened it up to 10.0-10.1 for almost 3 seconds. Found that I have enough fuel and could use more meth. I made a new tune and was expecting a 9, and maybe a 9.8 because I could improve the launch, mid track, and add at least another 100 hp out the back end. I was pretty excited until I found out that we may, yes may, have enough time for another run. First run was at 9:15, 2nd run at 12:30. So before I had a 'moment' I turned around and went back and loaded up and headed home by 2:30. Disappointed and ecstatic at the same time. I have a bunch left on this tune and I'm ready - unfortunately, it's almost November :(

Also want to mention, that I've been relatively uncomfortable over 115-120 until today. Perhaps it was the long run down after the line or something else, but I was ready to get into the 140's and didn't feel as if I was risking bodily harm hehe.

A couple of other things that I found I messed up. I set the tire pressure to 18 on the 1st run and never re-checked before the second run. Of course the temp was 40 degrees F when I set them for the 1st run. I was planning to set them to 16 for the 3rd run when I discovered they were at 21 an hour and a half after the 2nd run. I was encouraged that I had traction 'left on the table' considering it felt like I was close to out of traction on the 1st run a second into it. And I still have another 5-7 degrees of timing to add on the big end, but I wanted to work into it 2-3 degrees at a time.

All in all, I 'm happy, but disappointed - I wanted a 9 before I turn the boost up to the 28-32psi range. Atco is running this next weekend (3 hr tow), but I have to convince wifey that it is in all of our best interests and I'm not sure that I'm that good at convincing her ;)

Edit - also forgot to mention - my p*ssy footing through the throttle at the big end cost me 2psi - I made 20 rather than the usual 22 - smh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
But its still in one piece so thats a win for sure! Congrats!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Man I need to move down south or out east. Still racing weather!!! Hot damn.

Seeing 10's out of a car that you put together 6 months ago is pretty awesome!

What injectors did you end up settling on. 210's or did you milk the 80's out for all they are worth?

Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
You are already into license, chassis certs and Fire jacket and pants territory just by MPH.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Man I need to move down south or out east. Still racing weather!!! Hot damn.

Seeing 10's out of a car that you put together 6 months ago is pretty awesome!

What injectors did you end up settling on. 210's or did you milk the 80's out for all they are worth?
I’m using a set of Deka 80’s. I was at 73% DC with a small amount of meth and below 11:1. So I’m thinking that leaning it out into mid to high 11’s, with more meth should get me to a high 9 before I was out of injector. But I’m pretty sure it’ll be done there.

I’m on C16 only because of the injector size. I intend to grab a set of Bosch 210’s or FIC’s in the the 1200cc range over the winter so that I can use E85.

The car has officially made 11 passes. The 1st 4 didn’t accomplish much other than wiping out the trans and discovered it doesn’t like stopping on a short run down. The next 5 were with the Deka 80’s and C16 which took me 3-4 to confirm I had enough fuel to make a full pass and one full pass with the ultra safe tune. And then the 2 today.

You are already into license, chassis certs and Fire jacket and pants territory just by MPH.

The car was built with all of this in mind. I have to add 2 bars, the shutoff, engine diaper and a legal seat belt to finish it off. Drag Week was the goal, but when it cancelled the priority to hammer through all of the remaining items went onto the back burner as well.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them. Most importantly though, this has brought a lot of fun and personal satisfaction to an ‘old-ish’ guy. It’s fun making rookie type mistakes and identifying them as well. Makes me feel young lol.

I’m sure we will be onto the Minnesota weather soon enough unfortunately. Just a couple of weeks behind you and 3-5 behind our friends to the north ;)

Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Took off the drag radials. Hopefully will get one more chance before Winter ;( .

Atco is the only chance I believe.
Atco 11.20.png

Was hoping for this weekend, but can't pull it off. Weekend of 11/21 & 22 is the goal. Begging for decent weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I know alot of us think about winter/off season upgrades, but my mind is rolling - axles, C-clip eliminators and spool, injectors, springs, wheels, brakes (happening 1st lol), seat, intake & FPR..... the list continues.

And of course body work/paint ---- ughh

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor