On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(anything less than 9.1)

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Pardon me sir, but do you speak English??
Its like the rev chips on your MSD 6L ignition box pops.

Kung Fu Fighting GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
'MSD 6AL' is like a satanic cult to me lol.

Donovan, EFI is easier and faster than carb tuning. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Master disconnect in tact.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Perhaps some wiring clean up is in order ???

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
IMG_3980.jpg

1st - the 60' time didn't work - all day.

This was the best I did - .070 from being a 9 (SMH). I made 3 runs at 137mph and 6.5 1/8's. The times on the other two were 10.5 and 10.7 and I pedaled my arse off on them.

The positive - I had it hook on two of the 6 runs. The 1st one (time slip above) I carried left front off the ground for more than 50'. I got back to where I was parked and I had 3 guys come up to me and tell me to get an anti-roll bar installed. I tried to dial it in with the shocks and succeeded somewhat, but according to a friend I was still pitching the right side of the rear bumper 6" higher than the right side. I was happy to do the 'g-body shuffle' though - FINALLY!! I trailered there and drove it off the trailer when I got home - 6 runs of WOT pulls - the worse run was 11.1.

The negative - I couldn't get it below 10. I couldn't get the boost over 22.9lbs. The back story to that though is that somehow after the 3rd run I lost my SD card that I datalog with. Geesh, how'd I do that? No f'ing idea, but I'm still looking for it in my truck. It made the last runs much more challenging. I continued to turn up the dome pressure (commanded boost), and on the last run I either hit the rev limiter or boost cut but because of the lack of datalog I have no idea - GREAT :( . I forgot to mention that after finally getting Monte Alban to hook, I started turning it up on the big end - leaner, more timing and more rpm's on the shifts. So that means I'm on a mission this week - shift kit, leak checks, verify dome pressure/boost system.

I was happy to be at the track and drive it off the trailer. Some new parts showed up this week - Derale trans cooler, fender roller, the last bits needed to install the I/O box and content sensor. Hopefully a busy week of G-body things.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
View attachment 180244

This was the best I did - .070 from being a 9 (SMH). I made 3 runs at 137mph and 6.5 1/8's. The times on the other two were 10.5 and 10.7 and I pedaled my arse off on them.

The positive - I had it hook on two of the 6 runs. The 1st one (time slip above) I carried left front off the ground for more than 50'. I got back to where I was parked and I had 3 guys come up to me and tell me to get an anti-roll bar installed. I tried to dial it in with the shocks and succeeded somewhat, but according to a friend I was still pitching the right side of the rear bumper 6" higher than the right side. I was happy to do the 'g-body shuffle' though - FINALLY!! I trailered there and drove it off the trailer when I got home - 6 runs of WOT pulls - the worse run was 11.1.

The negative - I couldn't get it below 10. I couldn't get the boost over 22.9lbs. The back story to that though is that somehow after the 3rd run I lost my SD card that I datalog with. Geesh, how'd I do that? No f'ing idea, but I'm still looking for it in my truck. It made the last runs much more challenging. I continued to turn up the dome pressure (commanded boost), and on the last run I either hit the rev limiter or boost cut but because of the lack of datalog I have no idea - GREAT :( . I forgot to mention that after finally getting Monte Alban to hook, I started turning it up on the big end - leaner, more timing and more rpm's on the shifts. So that means I'm on a mission this week - shift kit, leak checks, verify dome pressure/boost system.

I was happy to be at the track and drive it off the trailer. Some new parts showed up this week - Derale trans cooler, fender roller, the last bits needed to install the I/O box and content sensor. Hopefully a busy week of G-body things.
Only 22.9 lbs. of boost. Only a 10.069. Must really suck. 🤣 just kidding! I know you've put a lot of effort into accomplishing your goal. Still, that's a fast car!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
View attachment 180244

I believe engaging the G body Shuffle a couple times unlocks 9 second mode. Lol

Sounds like a good day!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Forgot to mention about the tire pressures. Mentioning this because I’ve had discussions here with ‘81cutlass about drag radials. 15-16lbs is what it took to get the MT Street E/T’s to hook. And they require a proper burnout. I made the 1st run at 19, the 2nd at 18, then dropped it.

I’m not sure if this was the right or wrong, but I was trying whatever would work and between 15-16 seemed to work better than 18-19 yesterday.

I also worked on the launch retard settings a bunch (before I lost the SD card lol.) I carried it out for another couple of seconds and took out 2 more degrees in the initial release of the button and then took out more , 3 degrees, for a couple of seconds.

Yes, Duke, I'll attach the tunes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor