On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
What settings do you run on your front vikings? I just got a set and don't know where to start.
I have the crusader fronts, with I think AK valving. I have only used them on no prep racing so far. I was full tight compression and 3 from full loose on rebound.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Let me know if u want some more pics of how I welded the limiters.
You can get away without them if u can get ur front shocks stiff enough on rebound. Went I did mine i still had old 90/10s on the front. With the vikings I have now at full tight, it takes forever for the front end to extend.
Idk if they ship but I got my Rs from SK speed on long Island.
I'd go for some photos.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have the crusader fronts, with I think AK valving. I have only used them on no prep racing so far. I was full tight compression and 3 from full loose on rebound.

I went with the warrior valving. Thanks for the info, I think crusaders are tighter so hopefully mine won't be too loose!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I went with the warrior valving. Thanks for the info, I think crusaders are tighter so hopefully mine won't be too loose!
What is the difference?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What is the difference?

$150

But straight from viking-

The Warriors are offered double or triple adjustable shocks that have fixed digressive compression and rebound valving. They are a good street/strip set up and generally work great on most applications up to 600-700 HP. The Crusaders are a competition specific shock that are also offered in double or triple adjustable. The main difference with the Crusaders is the interchangeable progressive rebound valving. There is 7 different rebound valving to select from based on HP level, intended use, suspension type, tire type, etc. Since this Crusader rebound valving can produce more aggressive force it has more robust internals.

The point in which Warrior valving is not enough greatly depends upon the application. A good chassis tuner can make the Warriors work at some pretty high HP levels, but instant center location is critical and front shock travel/front weight ballast is also critical.

If your Camaro is still a leaf spring equipped car the Warriors will work with a good amount of power since that suspension likes to see a lot of front end travel. The great thing about the Crusaders is you can revalve the shocks yourself without sending them back into us. The revalve kit is $15. If you car is right on that 600-700HP edge we recommend going with the Crusader shocks in the AD or AK valving. If you add more power down the road and end up going full tight on either of those rebound valving you can purchase the $15 revalve kit, such as the AP tie down valving, and have a completely different force tuning range to work with. The Crusaders are a shock that can grow with the car.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm hopefully going back on Sunday, not to race, only for license runs. And I'll safely tell you it was a long day, left my house at 6:15 and got back home at 6:30. Mix in 10 runs, datalog reading and adjusting the tune - I was frazzled by the time I was driving home time. I was pretty well amp'd up as well. I ate nothing all day, it was in 90's and I consumed 6 16oz Gatorades all day and nothing else. The last 5 runs with the boost controller active required a cool down period for transmission, so I was trying to find shade and playing the game of running the fans and watching the battery voltage and restarting the car for 30 minute intervals while reading logs.

This was also the 1st time I've worn gloves, fire pants and neck collar - of course I bought black ones - I'll reiterate - it was hot.

I'd love to get together though.
I have a 10x10 pop up tent that would help with the shade. Stop by, pick it up on your way, drop it off on your back thru.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
$150

But straight from viking-

The Warriors are offered double or triple adjustable shocks that have fixed digressive compression and rebound valving. They are a good street/strip set up and generally work great on most applications up to 600-700 HP. The Crusaders are a competition specific shock that are also offered in double or triple adjustable. The main difference with the Crusaders is the interchangeable progressive rebound valving. There is 7 different rebound valving to select from based on HP level, intended use, suspension type, tire type, etc. Since this Crusader rebound valving can produce more aggressive force it has more robust internals.

The point in which Warrior valving is not enough greatly depends upon the application. A good chassis tuner can make the Warriors work at some pretty high HP levels, but instant center location is critical and front shock travel/front weight ballast is also critical.

If your Camaro is still a leaf spring equipped car the Warriors will work with a good amount of power since that suspension likes to see a lot of front end travel. The great thing about the Crusaders is you can revalve the shocks yourself without sending them back into us. The revalve kit is $15. If you car is right on that 600-700HP edge we recommend going with the Crusader shocks in the AD or AK valving. If you add more power down the road and end up going full tight on either of those rebound valving you can purchase the $15 revalve kit, such as the AP tie down valving, and have a completely different force tuning range to work with. The Crusaders are a shock that can grow with the car.
For the love of god, don't tell me that now I have to become a chassis tuner too? I'll be 60yrs old before I figure that stuff out. All instant center conversations make my head spin. Try to find two people in a row to explain the best instant center point in a row.

Kidding aside, I need to learn more about this, and soon. Chris and wingnutz are correct that my front end is hurting me. IC??? Forget about that. I'm happy that it doesn't feel like a canoe ready to capsize on the hit anymore because of the ARB.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
For the love of god, don't tell me that now I have to become a chassis tuner too? I'll be 60yrs old before I figure that stuff out. All instant center conversations make my head spin. Try to find two people in a row to explain the best instant center point in a row.

Kidding aside, I need to learn more about this, and soon. Chris and wingnutz are correct that my front end is hurting me. IC??? Forget about that. I'm happy that it doesn't feel like a canoe ready to capsize on the hit anymore because of the ARB.
When u get a chance climb under the car and measure ur bar angles... Use ur frame as a zero reference. With that I can tell u were ur at.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
When u get a chance climb under the car and measure ur bar angles... Use ur frame as a zero reference. With that I can tell u were ur at.
The lower arms go up .5 degrees and the upper bars go down 16.5-16.7 degrees.

These measurements are in relation to the frame being the zero reference.

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
The lower arms go up .5 degrees and the upper bars go down 16.5-16.7 degrees.

These measurements are in relation to the frame being the zero reference.
16* is alot. Mine seperates fast and I think I'm at 13*. If you have adjustability in ur rear shocks u prob need alot of rebound damping.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor