On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
16* is alot. Mine seperates fast and I think I'm at 13*. If you have adjustability in ur rear shocks u prob need alot of rebound damping.
I have alot more. I ran them at 6 out of 18 on the rebound. I'll admit that I'm starting over with the shock adjustments because of the ARB. Without the ARB I had the shocks trying to keep the car parallel via cranking up the compression setting.

I trust you though, I'll crank up rebound setting. The paperwork from Viking indicates ranges of settings based on HP, but I had thought they are referencing car like yours or a nitrous car - something that hits alot harder than mine (turbo). They have a range for 600-900hp cars - I'll start in the middle of that range I guess and see wth happens.

Open to suggestions though

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
I have alot more. I ran them at 6 out of 18 on the rebound. I'll admit that I'm starting over with the shock adjustments because of the ARB. Without the ARB I had the shocks trying to keep the car parallel via cranking up the compression setting.

I trust you though, I'll crank up rebound setting. The paperwork from Viking indicates ranges of settings based on HP, but I had thought they are referencing car like yours or a nitrous car - something that hits alot harder than mine (turbo). They have a range for 600-900hp cars - I'll start in the middle of that range I guess and see wth happens.

Open to suggestions though
U have a very short instant center with ur Uca pointing down that much, it's gunna seperate hard and quickly. You want the seperation to last a bit so it doesn't top out while ur trying to get the power down on launch. So to slow it down u need to tighten the rebound.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Made it to the track today to finish the NHRA licensing passes. Needed two sub 10 seconds runs. Didn't have the time that motorheadmike did (fortunately haha), but managed to get in two sub 10 runs and drove the car on the trailer with no real issues.

The bad - filled the tank with E last night and didn't tighten the cap (oops) and managed to lose some gas on the 2nd run when it hooked. That was resolved by twisting the cap another full turn until it clicked :blam: . On the last run one of my hood latches loosened and wouldn't latch for the tow home - no big deal. Other than that, no other issues.

1st run :
I turned it up for the 1st run with the idea that the prep was fresh/decent/better than it would be later. Ummm, too much. I had the tire pressure to 17, which is more than I usually run. I hit at 9 psi and 18 degrees. Between the tires, that I don't think hurt that much, and the added power on the hit it was too much. Still went fast after lifting at the top of 1st gear - 139mph. And I hit the boost cut 8.5 seconds in because I'm a ding-a-ling. I had it set to 22,5 psi for some reason - it was obvious when it reverted to spring pressure and dumped the exhaust pressure - I thought I blew a hose off lol. Another :blam: moment.

2nd run :
I took out another 3 degrees and launched at 4.5 or so psi of boost after dropping the tires to 15psi. It felt great, but only a 1.56 60'. Of course I spilled gas launching. Ran a PB of 9.785 at just under 141mph. Just need another one.

3rd run :
Tires shook hard. I believe because I lightened up the compression on the shocks thinking it would help me squat better and I WAS WRONG. More on the shocks in a bit. Had a 1.60 60'and despite lifting to stop the shake ran a 10.01 at 141.20. You can imagine my comments at .02 seconds from a 9.99 that I needed for the 2nd sub 10 sec pass. I was shocked it went that fast after lifting, but still not a 9.

4th run :
Tires just started to shake at the top of 1st for a split second and then they dug in and it ran it ran another PB (barely) of 9.748 at 141.5. But that was it! The second licensing pass below 10 seconds - what a relief :friday:

Esta 7.10.22.jpg

I increased the boost incrementally through 2nd through 4th runs. Not by a lot, but enough to figure out how much dome pressure is needed. It seems that 15 psi of dome pressure equates into the dome pressure plus 7, i.e. 15 psi of dome = 22 psi of boost, 16 dome = 23 boost, 17.5 dome = 24.5 boost, etc. So I had plenty of time to make a 5th run and I set the dome pressure to run within 1/2 a psi of my map sensor - 26.2 psi of boost. I made another shock adjustment. I wanted that 9.4-9.6 run (mid 9 that's in my thread's name) ...............and............I bumped through the lights - WTF. Oh well, my mission was accomplished. I left track elated and relieved.

wingnutks advised of changing up my shock settings by a bunch. And damn, HE WAS RIGHT! Thanks to him for the advice. I increased my rebound by double from 6 to 12 and the back end stayed down. The 1st two runs I set the compression to 3 and that worked. then I thought about, incorrectly I'll add, and loosened (decreased) the compression from 3 to 1 and it shook the tires hard. Then on the 4th run I set it to 2 and it barely shook. Lesson learned. I have a big thanks to wingnutks for the advice.

I have a couple of sensor gremlins to chase away with my Pre IC temp and pressure, still have to tie down the front end, and install the 4 bar map. But for now I'm onto a bit of street driving to prove it out for Drag Week (and to enjoy it of course.) And I'm adding a pre-stage button to limit my rpm's, and changing my trans brake switch to push on/push off switch - no more bumping through the lights.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Mental note about shock settings.

Are you still running the bilsteins up front?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Mental note about shock settings.

Are you still running the bilsteins up front?
Yes. And I don't have a plan for coil overs or double adjustables up there anytime soon. Basically, I'm sticking with them for the rest of this year at least.

I expect my next expenditure of more than $100 will be a proper shifter, but I expect that to be a winter upgrade as well. I'm truly trying to stay at less than $11k - $10,___

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Glad to see it finally all worked out for you.
Thank you. I've rethought many of your posts on my threads. I appreciate the kind words. And everyone else's words of encouragement and advice.

I have to admit that I've had some moments of disappointment with my progress with this. I've rattled my brain too long thinking what I have to do to get to a 9.4____, and have thought that I'm not doing something right, or more along the lines that I'm doing something wrong. Or perhaps I'm overlooking something. But yesterday I had a moment of clarity after the 4th day of using my car as a daily driver to and from work, around town, and a couple of spirited roastey smokeys. I think I've been watching too many youtube videos and reading on FB too much about guys running 8's with a SBE. Running 9's with my budget in a 100% streetable car is damn fast, and perhaps, I might have a bit of a lofty goal. I'm not saying that I can't get there or am giving up, but a sub 12 sec car is damn faster and a 10 sec car is really damn fast. For Christ's sake, there was an entire series of movies made idolizing 10 second cars (Fast and Furious).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 1/4 mile success is much less subjective. Presently, I'm content with where I'm at and I have a honey do list that has grown wildly while I've been thrashing to get the NHRA license. So I think I'm going to try to enjoy driving my car and my honey for a little bit. My wife has put up with me living in the garage, testing, tinkering and being a bit too absent for the past 6 months. I told her that I needed to get the license, and I've done that.

Sometimes I forget why I built this car - it had one purpose and goal - DW with my son. I've decided that I'm going to do everything I can to enjoy every aspect of it until then.

Drag Week and super fast tracks are 63 days away.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Thank you. I've rethought many of your posts on my threads. I appreciate the kind words. And everyone else's words of encouragement and advice.

I have to admit that I've had some moments of disappointment with my progress with this. I've rattled my brain too long thinking what I have to do to get to a 9.4____, and have thought that I'm not doing something right, or more along the lines that I'm doing something wrong. Or perhaps I'm overlooking something. But yesterday I had a moment of clarity after the 4th day of using my car as a daily driver to and from work, around town, and a couple of spirited roastey smokeys. I think I've been watching too many youtube videos and reading on FB too much about guys running 8's with a SBE. Running 9's with my budget in a 100% streetable car is damn fast, and perhaps, I might have a bit of a lofty goal. I'm not saying that I can't get there or am giving up, but a sub 12 sec car is damn faster and a 10 sec car is really damn fast. For Christ's sake, there was an entire series of movies made idolizing 10 second cars (Fast and Furious).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 1/4 mile success is much less subjective. Presently, I'm content with where I'm at and I have a honey do list that has grown wildly while I've been thrashing to get the NHRA license. So I think I'm going to try to enjoy driving my car and my honey for a little bit. My wife has put up with me living in the garage, testing, tinkering and being a bit too absent for the past 6 months. I told her that I needed to get the license, and I've done that.

Sometimes I forget why I built this car - it had one purpose and goal - DW with my son. I've decided that I'm going to do everything I can to enjoy every aspect of it until then.

Drag Week and super fast tracks are 63 days away.
Man, a 10 second car is still ridiculously fast for something that you can drive on the street and reliably commute to work with. Put road miles on the working combo and work out the street bugs, that's more awesome than a track only car every day.

The 700hp street car club is exclusive.
Rotum GIF by South Park

• Agree

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
There’s more to be said for a slower car that can run a number at the drop of a hat without issues than a fast car that can run a number once and give you headaches. And as far as a goal there’s no such thing. A drag racing goal met just sets another. I ran my car for 22 years even though it was a bracket car it was always let’s see if I could go quicker. Finally after years of going low 9’s I built a motor for the 8.99 pass. Ran 3 consecutive 8 second passes and sold the car. It was time to stop the cycle.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
There’s more to be said for a slower car that can run a number at the drop of a hat without issues than a fast car that can run a number once and give you headaches. And as far as a goal there’s no such thing. A drag racing goal met just sets another. I ran my car for 22 years even though it was a bracket car it was always let’s see if I could go quicker. Finally after years of going low 9’s I built a motor for the 8.99 pass. Ran 3 consecutive 8 second passes and sold the car. It was time to stop the cycle.

I understand exactly what your describing. I believe that's how the fun can leave what I'm doing. So I'm going to try and remember why I started down this trail, and enjoy the ride haha.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor