On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Here's the slips from the week.

On Thursday I ran a new PB, then did the same with both of the runs on Friday.

Life is GRAND, and to get to spend this with my son was the icing on the cake! What a good time was had by all. It rained us out on Friday and our slips didn't ount because everyone didn't get to run. But I was happy to get the two runs in and make some hay (haha). I'll try posting some videos if we can get them uploaded. IMG-0789.jpg IMG-0807.jpg IMG-0808.jpg IMG-0809.jpg IMG-0811.jpg

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Congrats on finally getting under 9.50. 2 years is nothing. I ran my car for 7 years till I got to 9.50!!

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I think you have 8s in it if you can get all 8 cylinders to fire....

I will bet money, a fair amount, you are missing on one hole. Your AFR and CL comp should not be doing this.

This is your first run. trying to compensate 50% fuel and spiking AFR by 2 points.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 174552.png

This is a mid 9 pass running on all 8 cylinders in a very similar setup. Exact same graph parameters. Even the RPM is smoother.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 180533.png

Ya got something going on, but you will be scary fast once you find out what.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's not misfiring Duke until it runs out of fuel. The log below is from the day before when it went 9.6. Notice the fuel pressure in relation to inj PW on this one and look at the one where it ran out of fuel. The only difference in the two was a small increase in timing above 6000 and 20 psi and another 5psi of boost.

I was wrong in the other thread about the lb/hr and the hooey I mentioned about these pumps. The lb/hr calculation goes haywire when the fuel pressure starts jumping causing the inj PW to be erratic. These pumps won't make 1000hp on my car based on the information from this week. I'd say 900 is safe and 950 is pushing it. 1000 ain't happening. I'll go back to the other thread and reference that I gave some bad info. I need to stop repeating internet hoohaa when I don't really know.

And FWIW, I've looked at a sh*t ton of my logs for hours on end - my fuel pressure is always rock steady, until Friday lol. My tune is farther off than I care for at the moment because of the new MAP sensor. When I was on the 26.8 psi sensor I was within 3-4% at all times when in boost - thankfully, Mr. Holley helps me out with that. I made some significant changes from Sunday and Monday to Friday to get it within 10%.

On another note, for the cruises during this week I might have hauled some big butt. This thing pulling a trailer runs 80 with it's eyes closed. Watching (passing) so many of these guys trying to keep there setup cool and gearing that has the car screaming looked terrible.

Also, I didn't mention my trailer woes here. During the 3rd drive we experienced a catastrophic trailer failure that resulted in a RIP Jetski moment in Champaign, Illinois. We said a short prayer after renting a U-haul to finish out. The axle broke. And after spending hours trying to find a replacement in 97 degree heat I threw in the towel on poor 'ole Jetski.

622D84B5-97E5-4B8F-A87A-5A982EE5465B.JPG

Hey, who dat?

F3E543AB-9A7A-4289-BE37-5CB64537B2BD.JPG

Monte Alban in front of a national treasure - yeah buddy!

60A8D301-3465-476D-90DF-52B687154199.JPG

FWIW, I believe Bruce's car was the most photographed car of the event. I've seen like 30 pics of this beauty. And BTW, he put that beauty into an 11.5 with a stick!!!!! And drove it 15hours both directions to and from the event!! For those of you that have never seen this car in person, it's period correct in perfect condition. If you get within a foot or two you can pic out some stuff, but from 10-20 feet it is absolutely perfect and did I mention it runs 11's. The under hood and interior look factory perfect (minus the motorplate). But I'll admit that the gig is up when he fires it up lol.

2B655C65-1A24-487F-BF39-796781710D4A.JPG

18B8D139-7CFA-4F1F-84AE-B75118EFD6DB.JPG

Attachments

• 9.22.22 1st run.dl
    8 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
It's not misfiring Duke until it runs out of fuel. The log below is from the day before when it went 9.6. Notice the fuel pressure in relation to inj PW on this one and look at the one where it ran out of fuel. The only difference in the two was a small increase in timing above 6000 and 20 psi and another 5psi of boost.

I was wrong in the other thread about the lb/hr and the hooey I mentioned about these pumps. The lb/hr calculation goes haywire when the fuel pressure starts jumping causing the inj PW to be erratic. These pumps won't make 1000hp on my car based on the information from this week. I'd say 900 is safe and 950 is pushing it. 1000 ain't happening. I'll go back to the other thread and reference that I gave some bad info. I need to stop repeating internet hoohaa when I don't really know.

And FWIW, I've looked at a sh*t ton of my logs for hours on end - my fuel pressure is always rock steady, until Friday lol. My tune is farther off than I care for at the moment because of the new MAP sensor. When I was on the 26.8 psi sensor I was within 3-4% at all times when in boost - thankfully, Mr. Holley helps me out with that. I made some significant changes from Sunday and Monday to Friday to get it within 10%.

On another note, for the cruises during this week I might have hauled some big butt. This thing pulling a trailer runs 80 with it's eyes closed. Watching (passing) so many of these guys trying to keep there setup cool and gearing that has the car screaming looked terrible.

Also, I didn't mention my trailer woes here. During the 3rd drive we experienced a catastrophic trailer failure that resulted in a RIP Jetski moment in Champaign, Illinois. We said a short prayer after renting a U-haul to finish out. The axle broke. And after spending hours trying to find a replacement in 97 degree heat I threw in the towel on poor 'ole Jetski.

View attachment 207664

Hey, who dat?

View attachment 207666

Monte Alban in front of a national treasure - yeah buddy!

View attachment 207662

FWIW, I believe Bruce's car was the most photographed car of the event. I've seen like 30 pics of this beauty. And BTW, he put that beauty into an 11.5 with a stick!!!!! And drove it 15hours both directions to and from the event!! For those of you that have never seen this car in person, it's period correct in perfect condition. If you get within a foot or two you can pic out some stuff, but from 10-20 feet it is absolutely perfect and did I mention it runs 11's. The under hood and interior look factory perfect (minus the motorplate). But I'll admit that the gig is up when he fires it up lol.

View attachment 207663

View attachment 207665

Ok, I won't bring it up again. I will say its extra badass to run mid 9s on 7 cylinders though.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ok, I won't bring it up again. I will say its extra badass to run mid 9s on 7 cylinders though.
You do know that is impossible with my setup. It's not on 7 cylinders.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Something else that I forgot. I really value the time I was able to spend with members here, both past and present. But I was able to spend the better part of an hour with this guy - and he is truly a great guy :

Resized-20220921-095759.JPEG

vanrah - it was great talking!! This world needs more Ole Bob's.

Jake was at Byron and Cordova before his Drag Weekend event - it's so great to talk in person with members in person. And Bruce is a such a character.........my god he's hilarious and knowledgeable. Ben with his Oldsmabuick wagon was an entrant in DW as well.

Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible. But if any of you get the chance to get into northern Illinois, then track down Ole Bob.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah twin 400's you are out of fuel, or voltage drop, or line loss, or something.

One of the guys on drag weekend had a G wagon that ran 9.16/148 and he had the radium surge tank with triple pumps & he said he needed it.

Good to chat & awesome to see it go deep in the 9's!

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor